Is a Ray Tracing Mod Possible?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
ben_8_nz
Team: Privateer

Is a Ray Tracing Mod Possible?

Post by ben_8_nz »

Ray tracing? Rtx Cards have been out a while. Is possible to add/mod DXR or ray tracing into the game?
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Is a Ray Tracing Mod Possible?

Post by Wahlamt »

Who here has a PC that can handle that in a good way? :lol: People already complaining about their potato pc's :lol:
Jrife548
Team: looking 4 gamer team

Post by Jrife548 »

Wahlamt wrote:Who here has a PC that can handle that in a good way? :lol: People already complaining about their potato pc's :lol:
I know a guy who works at NASA, he said they might be able to handle down at the office but no promises.
KaseoDip
Village Idiot
Team: Tegridy Farms

Post by KaseoDip »

I have a 9900k and 2080ti and still can't get 125 fps on a national track.. I don't think ray tracing, all though it would be sick, would be possible with the current optimization of this game.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

KaseoDip wrote:I have a 9900k and 2080ti and still can't get 125 fps on a national track.. I don't think ray tracing, all though it would be sick, would be possible with the current optimization of this game.
You're doing something wrong then. But yeah, Ray tracing would done fubar your frame rate on this game.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

You'll probably need to hook into lars@crossmag existing post-processing files for sim, but it looks like it is possible. You don't need an RTX card, but the tensor cores will sure as hell help a lot. Not sure if PTGI will play nice with sim's materials/shaders or even the lighting for that matter, but would love for someone to give it a shot.
https://reshade.me/forum/shader-discussion/5450-ray-tracing-with-reshade-unofficial-guide

SEUS PTGI did wonders for Minecraft, but he is directly modifying the shaders through the Optifine mod. Obviously, don't try it if you have to hack your way into the shaders because that's technically modifying the game files and could land you in some serious trouble.
KaseoDip
Village Idiot
Team: Tegridy Farms

Post by KaseoDip »

aeffertz wrote:
KaseoDip wrote:I have a 9900k and 2080ti and still can't get 125 fps on a national track.. I don't think ray tracing, all though it would be sick, would be possible with the current optimization of this game.
You're doing something wrong then. But yeah, Ray tracing would done fubar your frame rate on this game.
I also have my graphics maxed and almost every skin downloaded
LKR47

Post by LKR47 »

I have it working boys... Lemme play with it some more and I'll post a little tutorial
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

LKR47 wrote:I have it working boys... Lemme play with it some more and I'll post a little tutorial
How's it look? Let's see some video!

Fuck, I was really hoping to wait until the next gen of cards because I know my 1080 ti probably won't be able to really handle it but it does everything I need it to but if it's actually playable on the current gen... I might get out the wallet for a new GPU.
LKR47

Post by LKR47 »

Long story short... It's trash. Like I figured, it doesn't work well with sim's lighting nor with the materials. Since there aren't any baked/real-time lights it struggles to find a source to hook in to and uses a default light from the current perspective. Also, since the materials on the bike/rider/track objects aren't PBR there isn't a need for reflections.
The only thing I think this may be useful for is ambient occlusion, but that comes at a heavy price. 15 rays with 10 meter ray length and 3 light bounces per-ray-per-frame brought me to 30 fps max settings with a rtx2070. I did a few tests with erode (forgot to take screens) and it helped some, but you're better off using the reshade AO from the post-processing I linked earlier. Right now in sim's current state I dont see a use for it as most of us hypothesized, but maybe when JLV introduces some new features like HDR environments this may be worth to come back to.
Here are some screens. The gray is the path traced AO. The colors are from the bounces that happen from the camera (light source).
*All of this is screen space calculated from the depth buffer and not simulated physical bounces
I'll still post a video on how to enable it sometime this week for those who want to try for themselves. It's super easy.
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Damn, that Niklas Sandbox screenshot looks like MX vs. ATV. It'd be interesting to see a normally rendered screenshot for direct comparison. That dude's tracks look insane anyway.
ben_8_nz

Post by ben_8_nz »

LKR47 wrote:Long story short... It's trash. Like I figured, it doesn't work well with sim's lighting nor with the materials. Since there aren't any baked/real-time lights it struggles to find a source to hook in to and uses a default light from the current perspective. Also, since the materials on the bike/rider/track objects aren't PBR there isn't a need for reflections.
The only thing I think this may be useful for is ambient occlusion, but that comes at a heavy price. 15 rays with 10 meter ray length and 3 light bounces per-ray-per-frame brought me to 30 fps max settings with a rtx2070. I did a few tests with erode (forgot to take screens) and it helped some, but you're better off using the reshade AO from the post-processing I linked earlier. Right now in sim's current state I dont see a use for it as most of us hypothesized, but maybe when JLV introduces some new features like HDR environments this may be worth to come back to.
Here are some screens. The gray is the path traced AO. The colors are from the bounces that happen from the camera (light source).
*All of this is screen space calculated from the depth buffer and not simulated physical bounces
I'll still post a video on how to enable it sometime this week for those who want to try for themselves. It's super easy.
Thank you guys so much for looking into it!
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I think Cray has a machine that could handle it.
Ain't that Cray cray cray?
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

New lighting engine would be nice. Or atleast an update so that this game is graphically competitive with minecraft.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:I think Cray has a machine that could handle it.
Ain't that Cray cray cray?
That would be worse....