How are people making models now? Please read.

Post about creating and skinning models here
Sinbiosin
Team: Privateer

How are people making models now? Please read.

Post by Sinbiosin »

I've racked my head for 3 days, scoured the forum. I do everything step by step, but everytime I convert to .saf my models will not work in game, I only get the default bike model and a scrolling text of cannot load this, and that. Here is my process.

Process #1 as described by Youtuber in "how to change parts in Blender video" here I am just trying to get a .JM exported by me to work.

Step 1: Make folder, drag and drop every .JM, and PNG from a working/tested bike model/skin
Step 2: Open .blend file included with the pack, there are 4 objects frame, swingarm, upper, and lower forks
Step 3: Click/highlight frame, Ctrl+A and click Rotation and Scale
Step 4: With frame still highlighted export .JM file overwriting the previous frame file (same file name)
Step 5: Convert to .saf

Doesn't work, default bike in game

Process #2 as described by a forum post and youtube video

Step 1: Open MXS Pivot Points 2, append blend file from process above
Step 2: Line up whole bike with pivot points
Step 3: Select Frame, Swingarm, Upper and Lower forks one at a time and press "A" in edit mode, select all, tab back to object mode
Step 4: Make sure no pivot points are selected in Edit mode
Step 5: First select swingarm, then shift+select swingarm pivot
Step 6: CTRL+J to join
Step 7: Tab to Edit mode, confirm swingarm is highlighted and pivot is not
Step 8: In Edit mode press "P" and seperate selection
Step 9: Click swingarm, press CTRL+A and apply Rotation and Scale (I've also tried leaving both swingarm and pivot point highlighted)
Step 10: Click swingarm and export as .JM
Step 11: Repeat steps for Frame, Upper and Lower forks
Step 12: With all .JM and PNG collected in 1 folder convert to .saf

Doesn't work, default bike in game

I have to be missing something. I have successfully edited models in Guild Wars 2, a game where nothing like that is supposed to be possible but somehow this game is still harder. I just want to make my bike from real life and make parts and tracks for other people to use, what am I doing wrong? I have been working with this model http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50778
KTM57

Re: How are people making models now? Please read.

Post by KTM57 »

Are you getting any error messages when you fail to load the model? Can you get it to work if you drop the files into your folder before packing everything into a saf?

My guess is that you've either named the files improperly or you've exported the jms improperly. You should at the very least be loading in on a blank bike if you name all the files correctly.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

If it's loading the stock bike, it's because it's not reading your files. Don't make a saf file and see if it works. The chat will tell you what it can't read, maybe you have named things incorrectly.
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

aeffertz wrote:If it's loading the stock bike, it's because it's not reading your files. Don't make a saf file and see if it works. The chat will tell you what it can't read, maybe you have named things incorrectly.
It basically says it can't read any of the parts with my model. If I make a saf file from the .jm files provided with the bike I linked then it works fine, it will only give some can't read text about the number plate and side plates. If I export my .jm files myself and name the file exactly like the original .jm file it will tell me it can't read any of the parts, swingarm, frame, upper, lower. I will try dropping the files directly and see if that works. I'm trying to make as much sense out of this as I can without making a video about it
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

this is basically all I get, I just tried dropping only the .jm files in. Is it possible my .jm export script for blender 2.80 is not good? I got it from this site, it's untelling how old it is
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

Sorry to keep spamming, but as I've started messing with it again I noticed my exports are only around 4 bytes file size (swingarm) while the original is 98 KB
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

Can you post what you named all of the files you are trying to put in game
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

Jeremy150 wrote:Can you post what you named all of the files you are trying to put in game
If you're wondering why I have the .JM file opening with Notepad++ it's because I wanted to see what if anything at all was written, because on mine as you'll see they are less than 1 KB file size and nothing other than JM1 written inside of them while others are full of randomness
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

Okay sounds like you are doing something wrong when exporting the JMs. If you are using the GasGas that you linked, you won't need to export your own JMs, Infidel included them with the release. So go download the top link.

Code: Select all

(DOWNLOAD: GASGAS ECF v4 PSD/BLEND/FILES
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eq96966u4 ... V4-PSD.rar)
Open up the .rar file. You will see a folder called "GasGas ECF v.4 test ride", open that up.
Take the first 4 Jm files and copy them into your folder.
Rename them to the proper naming like you have already done(cr250_fork_lower-GAS MX, cr250_fork_upper-GAS MX, etc etc)
That should work.
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

Jeremy150 wrote:Okay sounds like you are doing something wrong when exporting the JMs. If you are using the GasGas that you linked, you won't need to export your own JMs, Infidel included them with the release. So go download the top link.

Code: Select all

(DOWNLOAD: GASGAS ECF v4 PSD/BLEND/FILES
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eq96966u4 ... V4-PSD.rar)
Open up the .rar file. You will see a folder called "GasGas ECF v.4 test ride", open that up.
Take the first 4 Jm files and copy them into your folder.
Rename them to the proper naming like you have already done(cr250_fork_lower-GAS MX, cr250_fork_upper-GAS MX, etc etc)
That should work.
I've got that much, but I was wanting to add and change some things for myself. This whole project was supposed to be a 1 day deal for me to get the grasps of how everything works here. I was wanting to make some off the wall things, oversized gas tanks, cycra probend guards, Baja lights, Enduro tracks, single track harescrambles. But if I can't even edit someone else's model and get it working in the game then that goes out the window.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

You can't have a space in your file names.
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

aeffertz wrote:You can't have a space in your file names.
I will try to name it something different when I get off work but I really think it's not exporting right, the file size is just too small to contain anything. Blender 2.8 will export without error and give me that but blender 2.62 won't export the same project, something about a mesh error
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

Oh okay, didn't know you were trying to add to the model.
The fact that the only thing in the JM file is just "JM1" means something is going wrong when you export. Stupid question, but you are making sure that you select the part of the bike you want to export, before exporting the JM right?
Sinbiosin

Post by Sinbiosin »

Jeremy150 wrote:Oh okay, didn't know you were trying to add to the model.
The fact that the only thing in the JM file is just "JM1" means something is going wrong when you export. Stupid question, but you are making sure that you select the part of the bike you want to export, before exporting the JM right?
I leave it selected after I apply rotation and scale usually and just export right after doing that
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52834
Try using this export script instead. This one is made by the game creator.