Universal Helmet & Goggle Template

Post about creating and skinning models here
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Universal Helmet & Goggle Template

Post by aeffertz »

I'd like to propose an idea for future helmets (or even updating previous helmets) so swapping goggles would be quick and painless.

I've noticed one thing that seems to be lacking is the goggle/helmet combinations since switching a set of goggles generally requires a lot of work to remap them to fit that specific helmet UV layout. If all creators follow this basic template for unwrapping their helmets or goggles, switching goggles between helmets will be much more seamless as you can just copy and paste the goggle UV texture onto your helmet and not have to worry about it overlapping any parts on the helmet or worry about having to remap any of the helmet or goggles.

Any helmet or goggle I make will follow this format and I can only ask other creators to take it into consideration for everyone else that may want to run a different goggle or helmet at some point. I believe I left enough room for both the helmet and goggles and if you stay within the boundaries, it shouldn't be hard to still create a nice UV map. I've also noticed a lot of loose/poorly unwrapped helmets so this may also help creators tighten up their UV mapping game.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/59xuig7s ... ayout.png/
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Re: Universal Helmet & Goggle Template

Post by MOTOZ293 »

Thats not a terrible idea. what about the hassel of redoing the straps around the helemet and other model work. Nothing we do will change the fact we have to do a little model work for it all to look good
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

MOTOZ293 wrote:Thats not a terrible idea. what about the hassel of redoing the straps around the helemet and other model work. Nothing we do will change the fact we have to do a little model work for it all to look good
Yeah, you will still need to custom fit each set of goggles. That much is inevitable. However, adjusting the strap doesn't require a remap since all helmets are generally the same shape and size and even if the strap shrinks or grows a little in the process, it will still look fine as a goggle strap naturally stretches to fit. As of now, if you wanted a new set of goggles on a helmet you would need to:

-adjust/place goggles in blender
-remap the UV to the specific helmet
-retexture to match the new UV
-rebake normals from high poly model also adjusted to specific helmet
-rebake AO
-remake spec map

With this template all you'd have to do per helmet is:

-adjust/place goggles in blender
(Recommended but optional)
-Rebake AO

Moving the strap around is easy, re-texturing the entire goggle or helmet is a much bigger task. That's why we don't have tons of helmet/goggle options. It will still be a process but much simpler since it eliminates a ton of work necessary at the moment per helmet. It's a matter of a few minutes work vs hours of work.
MOTOZ293

Post by MOTOZ293 »

Shit I don’t do half that shit you said when I switch goggles. The process I take is
- move goggles (Diffuse, spec,norm) over to desired psd and adjust the layout to do as little downscaling as possible
- go to blender move the uv around to fit what I have on the template
- Then just Join the models and export.

Depending on how much work it takes to adjusting the strap it usually takes me 1-2 hours. We don’t have to talk about the racecraft situation. I didn’t realize I had to be in blender render mode and not cycles when I was editing the lens to how I wanted it.

I’d actually enjoy sitting down with you and showing me your process vs mine
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Yeah, for sure. You could move/rescale the exsisting norm, spec and texture around and then adjust the UV to match (which I assume is how mow most people do it now) but I think that would still take more time than if there was a universal template as it would eliminate that entire process since you wouldn't have to move anything around.
MOTOZ293

Post by MOTOZ293 »

That would definitely save a ton of time. Now the problem is getting all creators to agree to use that. I would be down to do a joint project with you to take the most used models (helmets & goggles) and change them to your layout idea. Free released models only is a given. Maybe if we went through att that trouble and we talk to guys like Jeremy, Isiah, and anyone else who is making helmets or goggles, and see if they would covert to that system
C.K.234
Team: MXS Magazine KTM

Post by C.K.234 »

That would be sick
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

MOTOZ293 wrote:That would definitely save a ton of time. Now the problem is getting all creators to agree to use that. I would be down to do a joint project with you to take the most used models (helmets & goggles) and change them to your layout idea. Free released models only is a given. Maybe if we went through att that trouble and we talk to guys like Jeremy, Isiah, and anyone else who is making helmets or goggles, and see if they would covert to that system
That would be cool for sure! Going back and doing the backlog would be awesome and then just hope other creators follow this moving forward. It pains me a little bit when I have to shrink down the goggle UV to fit around existing stuff and lose detail.

As of now, I have the following goggles on the universal template

-100% Armega
-Oakley Airbrake
-Fox Vue

Goggles in queue:
-Scott Prospect
-Spy Foundation
MOTOZ293

Post by MOTOZ293 »

aeffertz wrote:
MOTOZ293 wrote:That would definitely save a ton of time. Now the problem is getting all creators to agree to use that. I would be down to do a joint project with you to take the most used models (helmets & goggles) and change them to your layout idea. Free released models only is a given. Maybe if we went through att that trouble and we talk to guys like Jeremy, Isiah, and anyone else who is making helmets or goggles, and see if they would covert to that system
That would be cool for sure! Going back and doing the backlog would be awesome and then just hope other creators follow this moving forward. It pains me a little bit when I have to shrink down the goggle UV to fit around existing stuff and lose detail.

As of now, I have the following goggles on the universal template

-100% Armega
-Oakley Airbrake
-Fox Vue

Goggles in queue:
-Scott Prospect
-Spy Foundation
If you’re making those then obviously I wouldn’t be able to help woth those. Pm on discord and we could start a backlog and do the goggles on the more popularly used helmets Crossweeze#8784