Flight Sims

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Flight Sims

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I first played Flight Simulator back in the mid 80's with the awful black screen with white lines for graphics. Can't wait to get FS2020. I'll leave a comparison of the two. You can also fly an actual combat flight sim for free! Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) is an incredibly and brutally realistic flight model with weapon and sensor system ops in realtime. I'll just leave the link to the free game and an amazing cinematic of the sim in action.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... ads/world/

jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
christianjonse
Team: Privateer

Re: Flight Sims

Post by christianjonse »

DCS is more realistic flight sim than FSX. I played fxs for a few years then I got bored of it. But DCS is fun asf cuz it’s actually realistic. I’m excited for the new FS2020. The graphics of the landscape and the detail of the aircrafts is outstanding.
nickuzick

Post by nickuzick »

I’m trying to convert from FSX to XPlane and it’s difficult
TeamHavocRacing

X-Planes and DCS use blade element theory for their flight model while the rest just tell a model how it should move in space instead of simulating flow. It's funny how FS has become the "casual" sim. "That's a good thing." -Martha Stewart
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The graphics on Flight Simulator didn't bother me. That's just what a 6502 is capable of. What sucked was the flight model didn't even separate the velocity vector from the plane's orientation. It was literally impossible to do a correct flare because the flight model could only travel directly down the Z axis of the airplane. There was no excuse for that. The flight model could have been way better without slowing the game down.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

Sweet! You're a desktop aviator too! You would love how DCS works then. It's amazing that it's free. They just got 60 bucks from me for the F/A-18C. I got hooked on it with Jane's F/A-18 Simulator all the way back in the CRT days. The realism is daunting!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Sweet! You're a desktop aviator too! You would love how DCS works then. It's amazing that it's free. They just got 60 bucks from me for the F/A-18C. I got hooked on it with Jane's F/A-18 Simulator all the way back in the CRT days. The realism is daunting!
I don't play flight sims much these days. Not sure why since they do look awesome and I know the flight models are incredible now. Back in the Flight Simulator 2 days I played a lot. Even knew how to do the IFR stuff.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

Starting a cold, dark F/A-18C manually, taxiing up to the catapult, engaging the launch bar and launching then successfully trapping back on the carrier is very satisfying and takes a long checklist. Don't forget the parking brake!
TeamHavocRacing

KaseoDip
Village Idiot
Team: Tegridy Farms

Post by KaseoDip »

Jeston

Post by Jeston »