Is there a way to limit fps?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Dave Lee
Team: Privateer

Is there a way to limit fps?

Post by Dave Lee »

I have recently started having some issues with my fps dropping from 120 when im on populated servers or high detail maps and it is making the game stutter. This has only been happening since i upgraded to a 144hz monitor, as my fps used to be capped at 60 but now caps at 120. Is there a way to cap the fps manually?
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Re: Is there a way to limit fps?

Post by motokid499 »

I would just use a program like Rivatuner to cap my fps. You can try capping your fps at 72, that should get rid of any stutters and give you decently smooth gameplay, you'll have a ton of input lag though. What are your PC specs? These days, it's pretty hard not to achieve 125fps. I run 125fps solid and I turn my refresh rate down to 120hz for mxs.
Tanner Rogers
Dave Lee
Team: Privateer

Post by Dave Lee »

pc specs are: i5 6600k
asus z170A Mobo
16gb corsair 3000mhz ddr4 ram
Gigabyte 980

Its not that it isnt reaching that fps, it just doesnt feel anywhere near a smooth as it did at 60fps, almost like it is stuttering or dropping fps momentarily, but watching my fps counter shows that this isnt really the case
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

Post by AtlasZoor »

Try turning off vertical sync in the NVIDIA control panel
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

Dave Lee wrote:pc specs are: i5 6600k
asus z170A Mobo
16gb corsair 3000mhz ddr4 ram
Gigabyte 980

Its not that it isnt reaching that fps, it just doesnt feel anywhere near a smooth as it did at 60fps, almost like it is stuttering or dropping fps momentarily, but watching my fps counter shows that this isnt really the case
you can setting your refresh rate to 120 instead of 144 like I said. This helps with smoothness. I've also found 128hz to work quite well. You can match the refresh rate to the frame rate for smoothest results: 125hz with 125fps but you will get annoying screen tears whenever the frames go out of sync. To fix that you gotta use vsync or something, and nobody wants to deal with that kind of input lag. I've tried Gsync on mxs with little luck as well, doesnt seem to work proper but I may be setting it up wrong.

Try 120hz or 128hz at 125fps.
Tanner Rogers
clw1115934
Team: DABS

Post by clw1115934 »

jlv wrote:You definitely don't want to use --lock-fps for anything but video recording with the ffmpeg script. It doesn't magically speed up the game, it slows the clock down so the physics will be right for that frame rate.
That is from http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?t=41675 but I thought it was worth mentioning here. I've never had any luck capping the frames in mxs with --lock-fps, either use nvidia or rivatuner to set your own fps limit. Keep in mind that the online frame drops are more likely a result of erode and the processing that comes with updating a track for 20-40 people "editing" it all at once. I have a 9700k and 2080ti with 32GB RAM and anytime I'm in a lobby with 20+ people the frames are noticeably worse than in Time Trial.

For nvidia control panel, I have the Preferred refresh rate for mxs set to Application Controlled, Threaded Optimization set to Auto, and Vertical Sync set to Use the 3D application setting. That's just what I've been running and I'm anything but an expert.
Gucci#9473
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

clw1115934 wrote:
For nvidia control panel, I have the Preferred refresh rate for mxs set to Application Controlled, Threaded Optimization set to Auto, and Vertical Sync set to Use the 3D application setting. That's just what I've been running and I'm anything but an expert.
I find Threaded Optimization to drastically hurt the performance of MX Simulator for some reason. Turning it off got rid of a lot of the frame drops and fluctuations for me, which is weird because most games it does the opposite. I guess sim only running on one core has something to do with it. Also, for competitive settings, you want to set vertical sync to "off". Preferred refresh rate set to maximum and I also have my prerendered frames set to "1", or "ultra low latency mode". Make sure you make the adjustments in 3d application settings for MX simulator only, or else these adjustments will be made for all games.
Tanner Rogers
clw1115934
Team: DABS

Post by clw1115934 »

I tried turning vertical sync off and even though I use a gsync monitor there's very obvious tearing, setting it to Use the 3D application setting fixed it for me, so that's staying on. Nvidia Control Panel now has a Max Frame Rate setting for me, must've been added in a recent update. It works but not well, I wouldn't recommend it for sim because even when Max Frame Rate set at 116 the in-game fps counter will still go into the 120s at times.

Threaded optimization hurts my game as well, it loads much faster with it turned off too, so I'd recommend setting that to Auto or Off. The only other setting I have changed from default on my MX Simulator is Preferred refresh rate set to Application-controlled.
Gucci#9473
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

clw1115934 wrote:I tried turning vertical sync off and even though I use a gsync monitor there's very obvious tearing, setting it to Use the 3D application setting fixed it for me, so that's staying on. Nvidia Control Panel now has a Max Frame Rate setting for me, must've been added in a recent update. It works but not well, I wouldn't recommend it for sim because even when Max Frame Rate set at 116 the in-game fps counter will still go into the 120s at times.

Threaded optimization hurts my game as well, it loads much faster with it turned off too, so I'd recommend setting that to Auto or Off. The only other setting I have changed from default on my MX Simulator is Preferred refresh rate set to Application-controlled.
I haven't found a good way to set up G sync for mx simulator. Setting your vertical sync to "use application setting" will of course get rid of screen tearing, because the application (mxs) turns on vsync by default. "use application setting" = ON for vsync. If you don't notice the input lag, definitely leave it on. Its just impossible to be competetive with it IMO, looks damn nice though.

Same with threaded optimization, in most cases "Auto" means "ON" for MX Simulator.
Tanner Rogers