Automatic prediction

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Atom6246

Automatic prediction

Post by Atom6246 »

Going through some of my old Shadowplay clips and I stumbled apon this. https://gyazo.com/acdaf0a4769555ee665bf506e90c065d Watch everyone around me, then watch Garrett (#208)

Not quite sure what happened but he had no automatic prediction. And, it looked awesome. It made me question, what exactly is the point of automatic prediction? Wouldn't it just make racing worse by block passes being exaggerated with skippy lag, and just overall racing in general worse?

What are the benefits? I wasn't around when it was introduced.
RFX_corentin_12
Team: Impact

Re: Automatic prediction

Post by RFX_corentin_12 »

Atom6246 wrote:What are the benefits?
Nothing
RFX_corentin_12
Team: Impact

Post by RFX_corentin_12 »

RFX_corentin_12 wrote:
Atom6246 wrote:What are the benefits?
Nothing
DP: Same as the front end lock.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Not quite sure. That just seemed like decent internet connection. The point of prediction is to smooth lag spikes and make high ping people at least race-able. No one played older game where people went over berms and came back, knocking out all toughblocks doing so?

No prediction = either people stopping or going straight as soon as a few packages is lost. Jlv correct me if I'm wrong.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Prediction puts the bikes where they actually should be. Without it everyone else would look like they were behind where they actually are. I'm pretty it was in the first version of multiplayer. The only update was to predict collision response.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Baffles me that this is still in the game. And making for great racing !
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

whats his ping
only one to win something real from the game!
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Jones221 wrote:whats his ping
Wish I could tell ya
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Jones221 wrote:whats his ping
Usually around 150.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

With no automatic prediction everyone would be behind you 150ms at all time for example. Then the server syncs up and he punts you from behind. Am I wrong here? Also if you don't use automatic prediction, if you're behind a guy who loses his connection for 0.3s, his bike will just stop, instead of continuing in the current ditection. Of the 2 options, I think this is the better. How often does people blink around like crazy anymore? Since automatic prediction wasn't always around, right?
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Wahlamt wrote:With no automatic prediction everyone would be behind you 150ms at all time for example. Then the server syncs up and he punts you from behind.
Isn't that what's already happening? With automatic prediction?
Wahlamt wrote:How often does people blink around like crazy anymore? Since automatic prediction wasn't always around, right?
Still happens quite often, they just go invisible from what I remember.

Here's some more examples of the cons from automatic prediction
Just seems everything is over dramatic. Why can't it be like the gyazo first posted on this thread?
(https://i.gyazo.com/acdaf0a4769555ee665 ... 0c065d.mp4)
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Wahlamt wrote:With no automatic prediction everyone would be behind you 150ms at all time for example. Then the server syncs up and he punts you from behind. Am I wrong here?
That's correct. It'd be way worse but there's no way you'll convince him.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

jlv wrote:there's no way you'll convince him.
Well, considering no one can answer my previous questions, I would agree. The amount of time invested in this game and asking questions as to why certain things are the way they are is a bad thing? Wouldn't that be the opposite of not wanting to be convinced?

So the examples I linked would only be attributed to internet packet loss on the clients side? In which case there is no solution?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Atom6246 wrote:
jlv wrote:there's no way you'll convince him.
Well, considering no one can answer my previous questions, I would agree. The amount of time invested in this game and asking questions as to why certain things are the way they are is a bad thing? Wouldn't that be the opposite of not wanting to be convinced?

So the examples I linked would only be attributed to internet packet loss on the clients side? In which case there is no solution?
Wahlamt already explained it. Collisions would lag *way* behind the actual position. Not just a couple of feet. More like a full bike length at speed.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

jlv wrote:Wahlamt already explained it. Collisions would lag *way* behind the actual position. Not just a couple of feet. More like a full bike length at speed.
Thank you but I understood that from the first post you made. Mainly curious as to how the first gyazo I posted happened? (https://i.gyazo.com/acdaf0a4769555ee665 ... 0c065d.mp4)