erode sucks

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
motokid499
Team: Phil's

erode sucks

Post by motokid499 »

its rlly bad
Tanner Rogers
Owen_913
Team: Roges' Potato Farm

Re: erode sucks

Post by Owen_913 »

plus 1, facts
Xkxmotokid
Team: Full Throttle

Post by Xkxmotokid »

+1 facts :wink:
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Hi Tanner, I really don't like this post! It's very offensive to not only the game developer but the organization rF. You should think about what you post before you post this type of thing!

+1 fax
celtex
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer Life

Post by celtex »

Jakob Hubbard wrote:Hi Tanner, I really don't like this post! It's very offensive to not only the game developer but the organization rF. You should think about what you post before you post this type of thing!

+1 fax
I mean. Tanner isn’t wrong. The only thing that is bad about erode is it’s kinda sharp not smooth like how it would be in reflex for example we’re the suspension isn’t bounding around in turns
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I don't like this post either. It's presented in an offensive fashion. It's futile to address this concern, as pretty much all here post in an offensive manner anyway. So go fuck yourselves.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:I don't like this post either. It's presented in an offensive fashion. It's futile to address this concern, as pretty much all here post in an offensive manner anyway. So go fuck yourselves.
I like how you explained yourself before coming to the conclusion of "go fuck yourself." Cool to see how an elders thought process works.
Tanner Rogers
TeamHavocRacing

I had already arrived at that conclusion years ago. I just didn't want to start with it. "Controlled Trolling"
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

celtex wrote:
Jakob Hubbard wrote:Hi Tanner, I really don't like this post! It's very offensive to not only the game developer but the organization rF. You should think about what you post before you post this type of thing!

+1 fax
I mean. Tanner isn’t wrong. The only thing that is bad about erode is it’s kinda sharp not smooth like how it would be in reflex for example we’re the suspension isn’t bounding around in turns
I wanted something that would be like I experienced in real life - the main line getting rougher and rougher until it's so slow you have to move to different lines. This was obviously a terrible idea. I think Chris was pulling his hair out trying to find settings to make it *not* do that. What people want is smooth ruts where it gets faster and faster as the ruts get deeper. There's no denying it, I misread what people wanted out of track deformation horribly.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

jlv wrote:
celtex wrote:

+1 fax
I wanted something that would be like I experienced in real life - the main line getting rougher and rougher until it's so slow you have to move to different lines. This was obviously a terrible idea. I think Chris was pulling his hair out trying to find settings to make it *not* do that. What people want is smooth ruts where it gets faster and faster as the ruts get deeper. There's no denying it, I misread what people wanted out of track deformation horribly.
I like your take on erode, that's how it should be. The problems I have are more to do with the "chatter" you get from erode. I assume the ground texture is reduced when erode is applied so it's not as hard on the computer.. I'd imagine any real time dirt sculpting would be tough on a PC. Is this the reason for the low resolution feel of the ground when erode starts setting in? The chatter bumps are very problematic with the landing damping settings which is my current main problem. It seems as though the landing damping factor is applied whenever I go through the chatter, as the front wheel is TECHNICALLY lifting off the ground and resetting. Is there a minimum height the bike needs to be off the ground for the landing damping to take effect when the wheels come back into contact with the ground? I've historically ran a high landing damping factor and so with the chatter from erode my bike locks up A LOT causing me to lose control whenever I go over the chatter in the rut or something.
Tanner Rogers
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

motokid499 wrote: I like your take on erode, that's how it should be. The problems I have are more to do with the "chatter" you get from erode. I assume the ground texture is reduced when erode is applied so it's not as hard on the computer.. I'd imagine any real time dirt sculpting would be tough on a PC. Is this the reason for the low resolution feel of the ground when erode starts setting in? The chatter bumps are very problematic with the landing damping settings which is my current main problem. It seems as though the landing damping factor is applied whenever I go through the chatter, as the front wheel is TECHNICALLY lifting off the ground and resetting. Is there a minimum height the bike needs to be off the ground for the landing damping to take effect when the wheels come back into contact with the ground? I've historically ran a high landing damping factor and so with the chatter from erode my bike locks up A LOT causing me to lose control whenever I go over the chatter in the rut or something.
I mean like ground resolution like it feels like I'm riding over pixels. Not texture resolution sorry... It's hard to explain but my shit just locks up because whenever I go through chatter my roll damping shoots to 137 for a sec and then I go flying off the track because I can't turn. I know I should just get used to a lower landing damping factor but its tough when you've been using the same settings forever.
Tanner Rogers
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

And it's not a matter of slowing down or anything. I could creep around a rut in 1st gear upright slow as can be and I'll still fuck up if I hit the chatter wrong and lock my bike up.
Tanner Rogers
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote:There's no denying it, I misread what low levels people will go to make excuses horribly.
FTFY
SKlein
Team: Evergood

Post by SKlein »

motokid499 wrote:
jlv wrote:
celtex wrote: I mean. Tanner isn’t wrong. The only thing that is bad about erode is it’s kinda sharp not smooth like how it would be in reflex for example we’re the suspension isn’t bounding around in turns
Jagged ruts has been a problem from day 1. It's progressively gotten better as rF decided to add pre-built ruts/rough, but I don't think with the current iteration of erode you can achieve consistently effective results. Chris was forced to utilize a lower erode value (wasn't his goal) which helps limit the erode depth and pace. Before that point you had 10 foot deep ruts with jagged edges that would grab your handlebars and quite literally flip you around at a given moment. At this point I think I'd take significantly more rough leading into corners as a trade-off for adjusting how ruts deform. I can, for the most part, control how I manage a chattery/blown out off camber. When I'm locked into a deep jagged rut there's not much predictability to it, and that's not even factoring in the issues of visibility yet, which is another major factor.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

jlv wrote:
celtex wrote:

+1 fax
If there was a way of making changes to tileinfo from in the client when hosting a test progress could be made quicker. It is hard enough to get 40 people of similar skill level together to do a test, it is nearly impossible to get them to re download a track with changes without drop outs.. Right now it is just too cumbersome for the people trying to make changes and the people willing to help test them. Would be such a big help if something could be done with this alone.

Having the ability to make more adjustments to tileinfo such as settings changeable at selected times to have faster development early then taper off as the track get's rough would be a huge improvement overall. Example: Low settings for first 2 minutes, Aggressive settings for next 5 minutes. etc... Right now it is a balancing act of too much or too little development, jagged or smooth. We just need ways to control erode better.

I think we made some progress last year with erode with the braking bumps with lowering the lateral scale and getting ruts to be a more manageable size wise but there is still ton's of room for improvement.