2023-02-06 snapshot

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: 2023-02-06 snapshot

Post by jlv »

jaron15_racing wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:13 pm
jlv wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:21 am
jaron15_racing wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:06 am GTX 1660
Would have thought that would run it easily.
Yea, Not sure gonna stick with the old one for now.
FWIW, I was pretty happy with the performance on a GT 1030. A GTX 1660 should blow that away. There must be something misconfigured.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Post by motokid499 »

I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but i'm getting significantly more screen freezes with this snapshot. When I go back to the old 2022 snapshots this problem disappears. Current specs are i5 10400f and rtx 3060ti. The performance seems similar until I factor in the screen freezes. These freezes seem to happen at random for me and its not just visual. When the screen skips/freezes occur my controller also seems to disconnect for a brief moment. I'm not sure if the two problems are correlated, or if its the game entirely locking up for brief moments/not accepting input.
Tanner Rogers
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

motokid499 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:10 pm I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but i'm getting significantly more screen freezes with this snapshot. When I go back to the old 2022 snapshots this problem disappears. Current specs are i5 10400f and rtx 3060ti. The performance seems similar until I factor in the screen freezes. These freezes seem to happen at random for me and its not just visual. When the screen skips/freezes occur my controller also seems to disconnect for a brief moment. I'm not sure if the two problems are correlated, or if its the game entirely locking up for brief moments/not accepting input.
These will also happen to me but only when racing with 39 other riders. It seems to screen freeze for a bit then it will consistently screen freeze every 5-10 seconds and my offset from the server skyrockets. I've had this problem since around the end of last year. It never happened during sx this year but it's happened again during this outdoor season. I'm not sure what the actual conditions are that cause this but I also have an intel chip and nvidia gpu. i9-9900k and rtx 2070 super.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

DP but I just remembered that I think I had changed my terrain sync rate to 0 and that seemed to have fixed the issue (at least so far). I haven't done enough races to determine if the issue was it was too high. But I think my thought process was that when the terrain changes from erode were taking effect it was trying to do too much work at once with 40 riders causing the screen freezes. If your terrain sync rate is already set to 0 then it could be a completely separate issue.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Could be getting close to running out of texture memory. Next update will have a fix for the texture memory counter wrapping at 4 gb on Windows so it'll be easier to tell if you're close to running out.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
GaryC292
Team: Privateer

Post by GaryC292 »

Hopefully someone can help. I was having an issue where the ground textures where blurry and slow to load and had searched numerous topics on the issue and tried them all with no success but then I tried the standard 1.3 version of the game and all was ok. What I then noticed was that the base 1.3 version has the "Terrain Rendering Method" and "Use Shader Programs" options in the graphics settings however the snapshot version does not. Am I doing something completely stupid or why is that option not showing in my snapshot as that seems to be the cause of the poor graphics performance when running the newest snapshot version as opposed to the base 1.3 version?

Thank you to whoever can assist!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

GaryC292 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 pm Hopefully someone can help. I was having an issue where the ground textures where blurry and slow to load and had searched numerous topics on the issue and tried them all with no success but then I tried the standard 1.3 version of the game and all was ok. What I then noticed was that the base 1.3 version has the "Terrain Rendering Method" and "Use Shader Programs" options in the graphics settings however the snapshot version does not. Am I doing something completely stupid or why is that option not showing in my snapshot as that seems to be the cause of the poor graphics performance when running the newest snapshot version as opposed to the base 1.3 version?

Shader programs are no longer optional so the settings have been removed. What GPU are you using?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
GaryC292
Team: Privateer

Post by GaryC292 »

jlv wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:41 am
GaryC292 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 pm Hopefully someone can help. I was having an issue where the ground textures where blurry and slow to load and had searched numerous topics on the issue and tried them all with no success but then I tried the standard 1.3 version of the game and all was ok. What I then noticed was that the base 1.3 version has the "Terrain Rendering Method" and "Use Shader Programs" options in the graphics settings however the snapshot version does not. Am I doing something completely stupid or why is that option not showing in my snapshot as that seems to be the cause of the poor graphics performance when running the newest snapshot version as opposed to the base 1.3 version?

Shader programs are no longer optional so the settings have been removed. What GPU are you using?
I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050. For the time being I'm running the last snapshot prior to the settings being removed and all runs perfectly. Weirdly enough I'm almost certain I was previously running the most recent snapshot before I factory reset my computer but I have updated all the drivers and still get this blurry loading issue.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

GaryC292 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:59 pm I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050. For the time being I'm running the last snapshot prior to the settings being removed and all runs perfectly. Weirdly enough I'm almost certain I was previously running the most recent snapshot before I factory reset my computer but I have updated all the drivers and still get this blurry loading issue.
You can increase the ground texture resolution for the blurry textures. The bad performance is puzzling. It runs fine on the GT 1030 I test with so I'd have expected any GTX 1xxx series card to handle it easily.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Hayden_Scott
Team: District D|Brainsick

Post by Hayden_Scott »

Can we pls get a new snapshot :(
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Hayden_Scott wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:30 am Can we pls get a new snapshot :(
Working on it!
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Tzollers
Team: Covenant

Post by Tzollers »

I got a chest protector made with a clear back strap and i cannot see it in this snapshot but i had a 2021 snapshot and i could see it, do you know how to fix this?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Tzollers wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:20 am I got a chest protector made with a clear back strap and i cannot see it in this snapshot but i had a 2021 snapshot and i could see it, do you know how to fix this?
If you mean a reflection isn't showing, there's a bug in the environment map vertex shader in the last few versions. (There was a transposed matrix.) The fix will be in the next update.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Hayden_Scott
Team: District D|Brainsick

Post by Hayden_Scott »

jlv wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:09 am
Tzollers wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:20 am I got a chest protector made with a clear back strap and i cannot see it in this snapshot but i had a 2021 snapshot and i could see it, do you know how to fix this?
If you mean a reflection isn't showing, there's a bug in the environment map vertex shader in the last few versions. (There was a transposed matrix.) The fix will be in the next update.
whats the timeframe for next update
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Hayden_Scott wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm whats the timeframe for next update
I don't want to promise a time frame and then miss. Here's what I have to do:

1. Add code to fit the tread mark decal textures into one atlas texture in a somewhat optimal way. (Done. This was the hard part.)
2. Add "treadmark" option to tileinfo file parser. (Done.)
3. Add code to read the tread mark image files and plug them into the atlas. (Working on this now.)
4. Update decal code to allow texture coordinates that don't cover the entire texture for the atlased decals.
5. Add code to drop tread mark decals as the bikes move around.
6. Deal with editor/saving/loading. Since the tread mark decals are going to be in an atlas texture they won't be easy to save in the decals file. I'll probably just punt and not save them.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com