3rd person adjustment with steep inclines

Post your suggestions here
baker

Re: 3rd person adjustment with steep inclines

Post by baker »

Ash wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:34 pm Any news about this topic ?
I noticed this was brought up with maggiorra’s steep inclines, I definitely think it’s a worthwhile change.
InsaneFMX
Team: Flipin 150ft triples

Post by InsaneFMX »

If anyone else doesn't know, You can adjust your 3rd person view settings, and here is 1 frame to demonstrate:

Stock settings I believe (FOV 110, height 5, distance 10)

My Normal settings for 3rd (FOV 86, Height 3, Distance 10)

If I would want more vision for hills (FOV 86, Height 1, Distance 10)

You can drop your height for vision, 0 feels a bit weird but 1 works well if you are someone who likes it
Ash
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by Ash »

InsaneFMX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:50 am If anyone else doesn't know, You can adjust your 3rd person view settings
Yes, I known, but it's doesn't resolve the issue if you have to edit your fov and height for each tracks. And change the fov change the speed perception.

But as you prove, JLV just have to implement an auto-height modifier to solve the problem. If in 5m in front of us, the track still climb, mxs will reduce the 3rd person height and increase it for descent.
InsaneFMX
Team: Flipin 150ft triples

Post by InsaneFMX »

Ash wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:14 pm
InsaneFMX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:50 am If anyone else doesn't know, You can adjust your 3rd person view settings
Yes, I known, but it's doesn't resolve the issue if you have to edit your fov and height for each tracks.
I'm not saying you should constantly change it (and if you look, I only changed the height from my normal settings, not hard), I used the stock settings and my settings to show the difference but if you want a reflex look, the last settings are pretty much that (it would be better with the height at 1.5 written into the config). The camera already adjusts it's height but not to point up, to point down; higher elevation limits your camera's viewing angle.
This:
and this:
are both doing similar things and, imo, isn't enough to warrant adjustments by jlv when the mans has more important updates going. If your camera height is on 5, my guess is that's 5 meter's off the ground (~17 feet). Reflex' camera is like 1.5m high and appears to just have a minor altitude delay to it. You can't expect similar experiences with vastly different settings but you can get a similar experience if you try to find it. Sometimes it's poor player choices/settings and not the dev's job to fix.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

I don't think it's about poor settings when you saw how many players wait after this update.
If you reduce you height in your graphic parameters as you suggest, it will be great for climb, but like on you GIF, the landing on descent will be horrible.

On Reflex, the camera is attached to the rider, and you will keep the same angle between camera and rider. You see what the rider see.
On Mx Sim, the camera stay targeted to the horizon. So the angle between camera and rider change depending the angle of the climb.

InsaneFMX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:21 pm [...] isn't enough to warrant adjustments by jlv when the man has more important updates going. [...]
I think, change the 3rd Person camera to have an auto-adjust of the height will take it 1 day or less. It's very simple to do it (I know how to code it). He could take a pause during his important updates to build it and make people happy. We wait after these important updates for years, we can wait 1 day more. (It's also why I'm for open the source code of mxs to trusted persons to build these little update when jlv works on bigger). ;)
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

Any news jlv ?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I'm still working on getting rid of all the stuff I use that was deprecated in OpenGL 3.1. Mostly done but still have to switch the gl matrix stuff to use uniforms instead. After that the terrain engine is getting a rewrite.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

jlv wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:44 am I'm still working on getting rid of all the stuff I use that was deprecated in OpenGL 3.1. Mostly done but still have to switch the gl matrix stuff to use uniforms instead. After that the terrain engine is getting a rewrite.
Do you need help for this update?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Ash wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm Do you need help for this update?
No. This is pretty complex stuff.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Post by MOTOZ293 »

jlv wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 am
Mxwaygamer made this. I believe in you
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

MOTOZ293 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:20 pm
jlv wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 am
Mxwaygamer made this. I believe in you
I was talking about replacing the deprecated OpenGL matrix code:
Ash wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm
jlv wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:44 am I'm still working on getting rid of all the stuff I use that was deprecated in OpenGL 3.1. Mostly done but still have to switch the gl matrix stuff to use uniforms instead. After that the terrain engine is getting a rewrite.
Do you need help for this update?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com