GitHub for Content

Post your suggestions here
ddmx

GitHub for Content

Post by ddmx »

So apologies in advance if this is a bit naive. Could you upload SAF files to GitHub and then use a similar install package routine within Sim to download and install content? Those familiar with the structure of GitHub could imagine the possibilities of bundling, versioning, etc.

David
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: GitHub for Content

Post by jlv »

Probably be best to not bother with saf if you wanted to use git. Just checkout directly to your mx sim directory. It could be a good way to work for a collaborative track effort.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

JLV - not quite following you there. I was imagining a git integration with sim. For instance, log into a server and get kicked out because you don’t have the track. Jump into the chat and “/install.package sx2020anaheim2” and it automatically starts downloading. Similarly, all 2019 six tracks could be downloaded as a package which includes additional packages.

David
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

OK. I thought you meant multiple people working on one project and managing their updates in a single tree. For regular track downloads git would be a waste since there's no need for the fancy merging features. Curl would do fine. I know I should add autodownload to the game. I dread the copyright disputes I'll have to deal with though.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:...I dread the copyright disputes I'll have to deal with though...
Assuming you are referring to people with "private tracks"

Would you be able to have it only enabled on official servers? I could see this being a huge benefit for the elsinore servers, and our race/qualifying servers.
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

Alternative route if worried about copyright. But auto download would be awesome.

https://youtu.be/0U2REMdpP9E

A content manager/launcher app similar to Assetto Corsa would be nice.
only one to win something real from the game!
model_90
Team: Heemlock

Post by model_90 »

Jones221 wrote:Alternative route if worried about copyright. But auto download would be awesome.

https://youtu.be/0U2REMdpP9E

A content manager/launcher app similar to Assetto Corsa would be nice.
yes!!! this would be incredible to see
Peters as sharp as a mouse dick-Ol' PizzaChet
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jeremy150 wrote:
jlv wrote:...I dread the copyright disputes I'll have to deal with though...
Assuming you are referring to people with "private tracks"

Would you be able to have it only enabled on official servers? I could see this being a huge benefit for the elsinore servers, and our race/qualifying servers.
Sending files out over UDP is really slow so I figured I'd make a centralized http download server that'd handle the downloads for all servers. I was expecting that letting random users upload tracks would be a requirement. It didn't occur to me to just punt and only let a small handful of people upload. That would make it much less of a headache.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

I am using a service called mod.io. It's basically a database for user-created content that allows you to moderate the content that is being uploaded. I currently have it set up in my project to download the skins of other players asynchronously after the online scene has loaded so I imagine it could work for tracks too. The only problem (possibly) is it requires all requests to be over TLS so TCP is required. They do have c/c++ and python apis as well as a few others.

The most well-known game using it right now is probably Descenders.

You'd probably want to write your own solution, but just a thought.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Would you be able to do a short forum write up on your implementation of mod.io ? Sounds interesting if it works pretty seamlessly.

David