Auto download tracks

Post your suggestions here
FalckPC
Team: Privateer

Auto download tracks

Post by FalckPC »

Missing track (x)
JLV you have done amazing on this game.
but there is still room for improvment. can we get to download the tracks if we join a server we dont have the track to ?
it gets kinda boring to download the track i already have, but its the 2016 or 2017 version. the only reason i download 90% of my tracks is to play online. im not complaining on the fact i need 3 same tracks. but make it silky smooth to download them, instead of browsing forums to find them, just so when you finally install it you have to start downloading the next, until you got the hole rotation of maps downloaded.
Hayden_Scott
Team: District D|Brainsick

Re: Auto download tracks

Post by Hayden_Scott »

+1
DaveDeep
Team: Raceline Performance

Post by DaveDeep »

+1
JamesLayle721
Crushed Dissenter
Team: JL Designs

Post by JamesLayle721 »

im sure this isnt gonna happen, game was made in 2007 which means the game engine was from 2007, hes not using unreal engine from 2020 where anything can happen. Theres a limit with old game engines.
Discord: James Layle#0721
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Definitely not an engine issue. I don't want to be forced into being the copyright police any more than I already am. Probably going to do something like have autodownload but only for rF and EMF tracks.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:Definitely not an engine issue. I don't want to be forced into being the copyright police any more than I already am. Probably going to do something like have autodownload but only for rF and EMF tracks.
That would be cool. What do you plan on doing for high/med/low resolution versions? And object packs as well...
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

aeffertz wrote:
jlv wrote:Definitely not an engine issue. I don't want to be forced into being the copyright police any more than I already am. Probably going to do something like have autodownload but only for rF and EMF tracks.
That would be cool. What do you plan on doing for high/med/low resolution versions? And object packs as well...
Haven't thought about that. Probably either default to low or have multiple autodownload servers.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

Why not use the trackinfo file to allow the autodownload ?

For example with line like :
Download_link = http://your_link.saf

And allow only saf extension to evode malware, virus,...

When you are going to join server, if the track is missing, a pop-up will be display and ask you if you want to download it or not like :
"Do you want download <name> track from <download_link>?
"Yes/No"

This way have two advantages :
- People take the responsibility to download it or not.
- JLV have not to host server to allow people to download tracks. The server host will do it for you. There is no extra-charge for JLV.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Just hosting links is an interesting idea. The trackinfo file is the wrong place though since the client doesn't see it. Also would be nice to have the autodownload server resolve dependencies automatically. I was imagining the client sending a list of files it needs to the autodownload server and getting a list of URLs back and then downloading them. I figured the autodownload server would track dependencies and have a global file tree to prevent conflicts. There's no reason the URLs would have to be local though.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

When the server send the "hash" of track. It can send the download_url in the same time ? Like that, if hash doesn't match in client side. The client can ask to the player if he want to download it.

If you want to have async system, you could have the this feature :
1. Track is missing
2. Client asks to player if he want to download it
3. Client answers "Yes"
4. A progress bar appear on the screen
5. Download is over -> The track is added and the player join automaticaly the server
If the server have more than 1 track on it =>
6. Player in warmup mode
7. Server send the other trackinfos with hash and download_url
8. Client receive them and download them in background
9. All tracks are installed on the client.

You could add switch option in the multiplayer menu to disable auto download.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I think the autodownload server should know the total MXS file system and know which files each saf contains. It would suck to have autodownload and not have it automatically resolve dependencies. What good is it if it automatically downloads the track but you still have to hunt down "joesobjectpack.saf" to make it work?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

jlv wrote:I think the autodownload server should know the total MXS file system and know which files each saf contains. It would suck to have autodownload and not have it automatically resolve dependencies. What good is it if it automatically downloads the track but you still have to hunt down "joesobjectpack.saf" to make it work?
Oh yes, I didn't think about dependencies :S The only way I find to make it work will be to have all tracks on the same server or to add the possibility to have more than 1 link in the trackinfo file like :

Code: Select all

download_url = .......
dependencies_url1 = .........
dependencies_url2 = ......