Timetrial in Multiplayer

Post your suggestions here
Ash
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Timetrial in Multiplayer

Post by Ash »

Hi JLV,

Could you add the possibility to run timetrial in multiplayer server ?
It could be done without lot of work I think :
- Disable the feature who manage collision between players
- Paste the feature available on solo timetrial to come back on the last gate
=> Done !
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Timetrial in Multiplayer

Post by jlv »

Wouldn't be that hard to do but wouldn't it defeat the purpose of multiplayer?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

I don't think. That will add a new feature to the multiplayer.

Example :
A track was just released and you will like to train you on it to find the fastest lines. Currently you have the choise :
- Play in solo timetrial : good way because you ride against your best ghost but you play alone.
- Play in multiplayer : Not the best way because you don't know where you are faster and slower, other player can interect with you and wreck your lap it BUT you can player with your friends.
With Timetrial Multiplayer :
- You are able to play against your friends AND your best ghost : You can challenge you with your friend to be the first in limited time,...

And it's just a ON/OFF feature, so if people doesn't like this feature, they could stay playing like now with collision.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Turning off the collisions would be easy. There might be some issues with the other time trial features. Demo riders and online opponents use the same code (they're called playback slots internally) with the demo riders reading from a file vs the online riders reading from the network. Since there's only one source for playback slots I can't do both at once without rewriting it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

jlv wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 am Since there's only one source for playback slots I can't do both at once without rewriting it.
Not a good news :cry: Without ghost, I don't think the feature will be use.
If I have a right understanding, you can't load online player and add ghost on the slot 99 for example on other thread ?
C.K.234
Team: MXS Magazine KTM

Post by C.K.234 »

+1 ik this has been brought up a lot but itd be so much easier and timesaving if we could finally get a reset point cuz if we´re just chillin sendin transfers fmx tricks ot etc itd be so much better if we could just hit the reset but and ride from that specific chosen point
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Ash wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:54 am
jlv wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 am Since there's only one source for playback slots I can't do both at once without rewriting it.
Not a good news :cry: Without ghost, I don't think the feature will be use.
If I have a right understanding, you can't load online player and add ghost on the slot 99 for example on other thread ?
The extra slot a ghost needs would be a separate issue, but generally not a big deal since tracks don't tend to have 160 rider gates. What I mean is the code that buffers up the player states and interpolates / extrapolates their positions based on the best known info is not designed to read from both a demo file and network at the same time. Basically it has three modes: demo, network spectator, and network player.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

May be you could replace ghost by the sector times :
3 sectors on each track generated like that : Number of Gate on normal lap/3
When you cross once of these three gates, the time is displayed with the gap between our best lap. Like that, we could know if our time is better than our best before cross the finish line and you don't need to display the ghost
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You could do that with a track script.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Ash
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Ash »

jlv wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:34 am You could do that with a track script.
I know but I have to do that for every tracks and it not allows us to respawn as the timetrial mode.