n-1 Time Trial Starting Gate

Post your suggestions here
ddmx

n-1 Time Trial Starting Gate

Post by ddmx »

Thoughts on the ability to specify the starting gate in time trial mode? Not on every track, but most of them have the last gate in a terribly inconvenient spot for starting time trial mode.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: n-1 Time Trial Starting Gate

Post by jlv »

This isn't usually a problem if you pay attention when you place the gates. So whatever the solution is it has to require no effort on the part of the person making the track. Maybe just move the bike back a little every time you press the restart button?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Fair point, if the person placing the timing gates isn't thinking about time trial then they likely wouldn't specify a time trial gate to begin with.

For example, a few of this year's SX tracks have the final timing gate prior to whoops, or a rhythm lane where it's difficult to establish flow leading into the start finish. An extra half straightaway would be beneficial in these cases.

Maybe a different approach - a user specified time trial start gate that could be issued with a server command and saved to the AppData folder?
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Another side benefit of that approach would be the ability to start at specific sections of a track to practice, saving quite a lot of time against running a full lap or riding to a specific portion of the track.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Maybe if you press the restart button it should move you back to the previous gate if you haven't moved yet. Then you could just keep hitting the restart button until you're in a good spot.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
SKlein
Team: Evergood

Post by SKlein »

jlv wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:10 pm Maybe if you press the restart button it should move you back to the previous gate if you haven't moved yet. Then you could just keep hitting the restart button until you're in a good spot.
This would be a really nice compromise. If it's only a small change on your end I'd say it'd be a worthwhile one. I agree there's a lot of times where the reset gates are placed in really unfortunate spots.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

jlv wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:10 pm Maybe if you press the restart button it should move you back to the previous gate if you haven't moved yet. Then you could just keep hitting the restart button until you're in a good spot.
Could see that as being a really simple and effective solution. Good idea!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

OK. I'll give that a try.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com