Need help with installing on Ubuntu

Post your questions here
vmaki
Team: Privateer

Re: Need help with installing on Ubuntu

Post by vmaki »

That got solved by installing those ia32-libs. So the game runs but there were some great graphics issues. I couldn't see half of the objects and what I could see were all covered in blue and red pixels. Like back in the day with amiga :roll: So I went ahead and tried to install nvidia drivers for my macbook pro. Something went wrong and now the bloody ubuntu won't boot up. I'm a little bummed because I was hoping for linux to actually work. I guess I have to aquire windows 7. Atleast until that ahmm mac port :)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

There's some troubleshooting info for Nvidia on Ubuntu here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

Im also new to ubuntu, and so far i got to the point where i have the three files: mxbin, read me, and mx. however when i try to run mx, nothing happens. so im stuck and not sure what to do. If anyone could help it would be highly appreciated.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Run it from a terminal window so you can see the error messages.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

I dont get an error message. When i run it and select "Run in Terminal", it opens a terminal then closes quickly. Then nothing happens, or atleast nothing pops up. all three files are extracted into the same folder.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I mean you should start a terminal, type "cd /where/you/unpacked/mxsim" (obviously, not literally), and type "./mx".
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

This is what it tells me: Problem starting MX Simulator: Can't find game data
blaine@ubuntu:~/Desktop/Games/MXS$

Also just realized , how am i gonna get my wireless xbox controller working? when i plug in the adapter and turn on the controller, it doesnt sync up. This also happened on WIN7. I had to go to device manager and make it a microsoft game controller or something like that. Any help is appreciated. maybe Teamviewer or remote desktop etc..??

I just wanna play some MXS.
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

*Update*

I got MXS to launch using wine. However i still have no idea how im going to get my controller to work,
and also where are all my files for the game. EX: Personal folder etc... If anyone knows how i could get my controller working that
would be amazing!!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

"Can't find game data" means you're missing the zzz?.saf files. They need to be in the folder with mx and mxbin. On the native Linux client the personal data is in "~/.mxsimulator", which is the same as "/home/<username>/.mxsimulator".
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

I navigated to that folder using terminal because i dont know how to find it withou and did ls -l and theres only 1 files called: -rw-rw-r-- 1 blaine blaine 101 Sep 12 22:49 lastlog.txt
So. im confused...
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You don't need to worry about that yet. Your install folder needs these files in it:

mx
mxbin
zzzu.saf
zzzv.saf
zzzw.saf
zzzx.saf
zzzy.saf
zzzz.saf

Doesn't matter where you put it. It just needs all of those files.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

Ok where can i get those files, All i have at the moment is the mxbin, mx, and the read me. Those files are in the folder that i extracted the download to. However they arent in the folder ./mxsimulator because i dont know where that folder is, but i found it in the terminal by navigating to it in home folder.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You could move them over from your windows installation. If it's easier for you, I sent you a full Linux tarball via PM.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Oprayx

Post by Oprayx »

Ok Thanks i got it. Quick Question, is -/.mxsimulator1_7 like my personal folder on windows. Like do i out all my files in there? also can i drag all my files over from windows, like maps, skins, cfg etc.
Thanks for your help, now i just need to get my controller working. i got it working with xboxdrv but the triggers dont work. i saw the thread on it and will try just need my cfg to change those values.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

The tarball will make a folder named "mxsimulator-1_7". That's your install folder. You can put all read only stuff in there.

When you run the game, it will create "/home/<username>/.mxsimulator". That's your personal folder. Put stuff in there if you want MX Sim to be able to write to it. E.g. a track you're working on with the editor.

Most unix software will expand "~" to "/home/<username>". So if you see someone write "~" it means your home directory.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com