Semitransparency

Post your questions here
KTM57

Semitransparency

Post by KTM57 »

Has anyone cracked the code on a translucent goggle lens? I've been pinging back and forth between unsatisfactory results for about an hour over here.

On the left, I've got a transparent lens via an 85% opaque diffuse map, but the transparent object kills all objects behind it. The right side has a 0% opaque diffuse with reflections only dependent on material settings. My ideal result would be a material that allows me to set a color for the lens (left) that will be semitransparent and show my beautiful eyes (right) so I can approximate a real lens. I've seen screenshots that seem to have it right, but this is an easily faked effect. Is there any way to achieve what I'm going for here?

These are my materials settings, pretty much stolen from Benji's TLD SE3. I've gotten no good results using transparency settings.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Re: Semitransparency

Post by Jeremy150 »

So basically there's something weird with the game not liking a transparent diffuse, on a non-default material. To get the effect you want, use your first material/transparent setting, but make sure all materials behind the lens are the default blender material. I.E give the face, cheek pads, etc the blender default material.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Cool, that worked! Thanks for your help.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Actually, the material doesn't matter but you want it to be drawn last so it won't block stuff behind it. The export script exports in alphabetic order by material, so give your goggle material a name that begins with "z" or whatever it takes to make it sort last.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Ha! "Lens" does come after "default."
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

KTM57 wrote:Ha! "Lens" does come after "default."
Capital letters sort before lowercase in ASCII. Numbers are before all letters. Check the Wikipedia ASCII page for the full order.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

jlv wrote:
KTM57 wrote:Ha! "Lens" does come after "default."
Capital letters sort before lowercase in ASCII. Numbers are before all letters. Check the Wikipedia ASCII page for the full order.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:Actually, the material doesn't matter but you want it to be drawn last so it won't block stuff behind it. The export script exports in alphabetic order by material, so give your goggle material a name that begins with "z" or whatever it takes to make it sort last.
Dang, wish I would have known that :lol:
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:Actually, the material doesn't matter but you want it to be drawn last so it won't block stuff behind it. The export script exports in alphabetic order by material, so give your goggle material a name that begins with "z" or whatever it takes to make it sort last.
Oh wow. This is good to know.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by Ash »

Hello,

I'm trying to do the same thing on blender 2.9 but the transparency option has disappeared. Someone can help me to do that ?