Terrain Rendering - Bug?

Post your questions here
ddmx

Terrain Rendering - Bug?

Post by ddmx »

I noticed this a while back on 2010 Pala, and then again on Speedworld, and a few tracks in the Track Competition 1 pack.

Has there by chance been a change to the terrain rendering engine which would result in steeper angles on track (ruts, peaks of berms, etc) being more jagged than when originally released? A majority of the ruts, when I look at them, it would be tough to imagine the track was released like that. However, it's been 10+ years so maybe that's just how it was back then.
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Re: Terrain Rendering - Bug?

Post by DBRider251 »

I'm pretty sure JLV has changed erode drastically since it made it's way online. I can't tell you the specifics because I don't make tracks, but I think the game used to erode everywhere equally dependent on the amount of throttle you used. Now you can change zones in where it erodes more and made the older maps a little weird to be eroded.

I could be totally wrong, take my comment with a grain of salt until JLV or a trackmaker to come in here.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Thing sure didn't look as steep/choppy when I played on medium res on a macbook 10 years ago. Could better resolution + more capable pc's be the differnce?

Also another thing to note is that most old tracks seemed to utilize a 1025x1025 px terrain with 2ft/1px scaling, while nowadays we get 2049x2049 px terrain with 1ft/1px scaling. That meaning that we're all just used to smoother tracks too?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

There was a bug a long time ago that made it use the wrong level of detail when subdividing the terrain. But fixing that bug made it look better. You're probably just not used to the larger scale values that were used back then.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

jlv wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 am There was a bug a long time ago that made it use the wrong level of detail when subdividing the terrain. But fixing that bug made it look better. You're probably just not used to the larger scale values that were used back then.
Probably just this yep. A quick pass with a low power smooth and all is right in the world.