Personal folder on network

Post your questions here
KTM57

Personal folder on network

Post by KTM57 »

I have an secondary computer in my living room for couch gaming. My primary computer in my office is connected to the same network (both via Ethernet). I already share some files between them using network sharing in Windows. (PS2 ROMs for emulator) I want to play MXS on the computer in the living room, but reference my personal folder from the other machine, so both are always up to date, and I don't have to copy over 15 years of files. It's no problem for me leave the primary machine idling while playing MXS on the other.

I installed MXS on the living room PC, shared my personal folder from my primary computer over the network, and tried to create a symlink from the local personal folder to the network folder - but it seems like you can only create a symlink locally. (Or I'm missing something)

Has anyone set up a remote personal folder, or does anyone have clever ideas to get it done? (Wahlamt, Puma?! Help!)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Personal folder on network

Post by Wahlamt »

You just knew I would read this? :lol:

While I've never really dealt with symlinks or network drives, I might have an idea. Unless it's some permission issue with the symlink.

xcopy seems like a useful tool, also able to copy over network. Either way, my "work around" would be to map the personal folder on your 2nd PC to something like E:\Random\Things, then have a script iterating and copying something like changes to the personal folder, or have a script run on boot that checks the network connected folder for changes, then copies those.

In xcopy example 3, they have some date thing. Maybe you could use that to copy "files newer than <yesterday>" and run that on schedule? Maybe check all the files in your personal folder and use the value (date) for the newest files to check for files newer than that one? This idea seemed much more straight lined in my head than whatever lost train of thought came out here...
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Of course I figured you would!

Thanks for the reply and that's a great idea to automatically check for changes and just copy over the new stuff. Honestly, it's probably the best option, especially if I don't want to depend on running both computers at the same time. I guess it would act as a backup too. However, I'm not willing to concede yet. :lol: From my digging it seems like symlinks are a bust, but there's gotta be something.

I thought I had a stroke of genius tonight. I tried sharing my install folder, then running the game from the shared folder on computer 2. (Figuring I could just dump my personal folder into there) Totally can't even launch the game! :lol:

In PCSX2, I can just tell it to check the shared network folder for all my ROMs, and it works great. What sucks is the 2 games that would be the best for referencing user content remotely are MXS and Skater XL - and Skater XL locks me into placing all my files in My Documents!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

KTM57 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am I thought I had a stroke of genius tonight. I tried sharing my install folder, then running the game from the shared folder on computer 2. (Figuring I could just dump my personal folder into there) Totally can't even launch the game! :lol:
Can this be solved with running the 1.13 update and just point the installer to the shared folder? :? If not, you could always ghetto it. Just copy the entire personal folder from the shared drive, then "select all -> copy -> paste into your local personal folder -> replace none" (new things will come, but not old ones)? :lol: If you need to update the config, track, hotlap or setup, just copy that one separately? :lol: