Snapshot can't find game data

Post your questions here
felixvcx
Team: Privateer

Snapshot can't find game data

Post by felixvcx »

Hey, everytime i download a new Snapshot and click on it, it says 'cant find game data' me and a couple friends have the same problem and we cant join some of the online servers.

thanks for help
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Snapshot can't find game data

Post by Wahlamt »

felixvcx wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:24 pm Hey, everytime i download a new Snapshot and click on it, it says 'cant find game data' me and a couple friends have the same problem and we cant join some of the online servers.

thanks for help
You need to put it in the installation folder, standard is:
C:\Program Files (x86)Mx Simulator\
felixvcx

Post by felixvcx »

Wahlamt wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:09 pm
felixvcx wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:24 pm Hey, everytime i download a new Snapshot and click on it, it says 'cant find game data' me and a couple friends have the same problem and we cant join some of the online servers.

thanks for help
sorry for the dumb question, but is the installer folder a different one than the personal folder? Because in the past I always put my Snapshots in my personal folder and it worked.
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

felixvcx wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:11 am

thanks for help
sorry for the dumb question, but is the installer folder a different one than the personal folder? Because in the past I always put my Snapshots in my personal folder and it worked.
Yes, your personal folder is in your appdata folder, the install folder is in the program files folder
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

DBRider251 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:17 pm

Yes, your personal folder is in your appdata folder, the install folder is in the program files folder or wherever you installed it
fixed that
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You can think of the personal folder as the saved files folder. Since the install folder isn't guaranteed to be writable the game saves its files in the local appdata folder. Anything read-only is better off in the install folder. The only time you want to extract stuff in the local appdata folder is when you're planning on using the track editor to modify it.

Also, whatever folder the game exe is in is by definition the install folder, so if you put the exe in the local appdata folder the install folder and personal folder will be the same folder when you run that exe.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
felixvcx

Post by felixvcx »

Yes, your personal folder is in your appdata folder, the install folder is in the program files folder or wherever you installed it
fixed that
Thank you
felixvcx

Post by felixvcx »

jlv wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:01 am You can think of the personal folder as the saved files folder. Since the install folder isn't guaranteed to be writable the game saves its files in the local appdata folder. Anything read-only is better off in the install folder. The only time you want to extract stuff in the local appdata folder is when you're planning on using the track editor to modify it.

Also, whatever folder the game exe is in is by definition the install folder, so if you put the exe in the local appdata folder the install folder and personal folder will be the same folder when you run that exe.
Okay thank you for taking the time explaining, with this understanding I will try it again later