TileMap Bug

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

TileMap Bug

Post by AtlasZoor »

When opening my track all of my tile maps randomly just turned into this weird gradient color. Even though the actual tile is one solid color.

most of the tiles have been changed into the weird gradients. Even though when opened in photoshop they remain one solid color. Not sure what is going on here. it remains like this even when restarting the game and re saving the track. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Re: TileMap Bug

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

wat. I've never seen this issue occur before. I've had some weird shapes form on the map but never have I seen a gradient tilemap in the editor show up unwillingly. You think it could be something wrong with your tileinfo file and reading the image file incorrectly?
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Jakob Hubbard wrote:wat. I've never seen this issue occur before. I've had some weird shapes form on the map but never have I seen a gradient tilemap in the editor show up unwillingly. You think it could be something wrong with your tileinfo file and reading the image file incorrectly?
honestly have no idea what is going on. The tiles are the ones used for the 19 nationals so I assume they would be read fine. Its kinda giving me eye disease looking at this all the time though.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

If you use the same texture for a decal or object does it get the same bug on the decal/object?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv wrote:If you use the same texture for a decal or object does it get the same bug on the decal/object?
Yup, just the sand.ppm into a decal that is shown in the Photoshop image above. As you can see the ppm is a solid color.

result is a gradient again.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

AtlasZoor wrote: honestly have no idea what is going on. The tiles are the ones used for the 19 nationals so I assume they would be read fine. Its kinda giving me eye disease looking at this all the time though.
Would you mind sending me the files over discord so I can take a look?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

If you could post the file I'd like a look as well.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv wrote:If you could post the file I'd like a look as well.
heres the files that im using its the roost, tilemap, and tileinfo. If you want more files just let me know.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Try scaling it up to 16x16. There's some stuff in the mipmap generation and software texturing that might be confused by a 2x2 file.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I'm not having any luck reproducing it but definitely try scaling up. 16x16 is only 768 bytes so it's no big deal memory wise.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

We also get that error with our tilemaps. However it only seems to only happen like 10% of the time. Normally it looks fine, if it doesn't, we just restart the game to fix it.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv wrote:Try scaling it up to 16x16. There's some stuff in the mipmap generation and software texturing that might be confused by a 2x2 file.
yup I just scaled them up and the problem stopped. its still super interesting because It just changed out of no where. I wonder if its a hardware specific problem.

But thank you!
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Jeremy150 wrote:We also get that error with our tilemaps. However it only seems to only happen like 10% of the time. Normally it looks fine, if it doesn't, we just restart the game to fix it.
Yeah that's interesting. Ive restarted my game multiple times but it didn't seem to fix the problem.