Skybox Upper Quality Issue

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Skybox Upper Quality Issue

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

I've been having an issue with the rendering of the upper image of a skybox in game. It appears to be stitching correctly, but in game it appears to render at a lower quality. All images were rendered using jlv's pov-ray script and are 2048x2048. I tested this script with the same skybox, just not the night version, and the image quality works perfectly. If I'm having to guess, sim has trouble rendering dark colors in the upper skybox. Here are some images for explanation.

Night Sky Upper:
you can see the square edges where the game switches quality of images, but still appears to stitch correctly.

Here is the source image, as you can see it is not this low quality:

Here is a working day version of the same skybox:

And the source image:

Wondering if anyone knows a fix to this? Maybe my images of my skybox are too high and all should be to a lowered image quality?

Thanks guys.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Skybox Upper Quality Issue

Post by jlv »

Does the file size on the top image look too small?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:03 am Does the file size on the top image look too small?
it's blurry, the file size is correct at 2048x2048. The stitching aligns everything up correctly but all the detail is just gone. So yeah the in game quality looks a lot lower than what it theoretically should be showing.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

I've highlighted the difference here making it easier to see. There's square edges because of the quality change.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Are you getting any messages that say "sky-u.png reduced to 64x64"?

For whatever reason people will make 4k textures that are one solid color, so the game tries to optimize those down to a less stupid size. If your texture is really close to being all the same color it might be incorrectly downscaling it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:54 am Are you getting any messages that say "sky-u.png reduced to 64x64"?

For whatever reason people will make 4k textures that are one solid color, so the game tries to optimize those down to a less stupid size. If your texture is really close to being all the same color it might be incorrectly downscaling it.
yep, I'm getting sky-u reduced to 16x16, anyway to overwrite this?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:56 am yep, I'm getting sky-u reduced to 16x16, anyway to overwrite this?
Sounds like I need to come up with a better test to detect upscaled textures. As a workaround, try adding a single pixel that has around 10 percent contrast with its neighbors.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Alright, thanks for the help.