Best way to optimize track

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Ash
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Best way to optimize track

Post by Ash »

Hello Creator and jlv,

I'm working on hudge compound and I would like to have the best optimization for it. I already created lods for all my 3d objects, But I still have two questions without answers after researched on the forum. So, if someone of you have the answers, I will be happy to discuss with you.
  1. About texture, what is the best ?
    Use lot of time the same decals as rF do with SX tracks
    OR
    Use big square decals edited on Photoshop to reduce the number of decals on the tracks like the example:
  2. I would like to add 3d grass on my tracks. For that, I created a model with 2 plans at 90° and add texture on it and after, I spammed D to duplicate on my track. But it created a lot of lines on my statues file.
    Is it the right way to do it ?
    OR
    Is is better to add this 3d objects on my map with blender and export all of them like only 1 statue ?

Example with the first way:
So if you have answers or ideas, keep me in touch.
Best,
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Best way to optimize track

Post by jlv »

For the decals you're better off replicating them so you don't waste so much texture memory. There's no need to have every pixel on the track be unique.

For the 3d grass I'd make an object that covers a reasonably sized area, say 32x32 feet, and use LODs to make it disappear at a distance. Maybe make it gradually sink into the ground with the last couple of LODs so it won't pop too bad when it disappears in the last one.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ash
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Re: Best way to optimize track

Post by Ash »

Thanks. I will try that