2022 MotoOption Supercross Round 17 Salt Lake City

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
ddmx

Re: 2022 MotoOption Supercross Round 4 Anaheim 2

Post by ddmx »

The engineer in me is trying to optimize something that doesn’t need to be optimized. I think traction and scale are close, but could be slightly improved. Scale seems a touch big, and traction a touch slick. I only do time trial though, I bet it’s good for racing.

Side note - does anyone have legitimate advice on how to get through the whoops? They are spaced so far apart and are so tall that blitzing them is an outright miracle for me.
csibike

Post by csibike »

ddmx wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:28 pm The engineer in me is trying to optimize something that doesn’t need to be optimized. I think traction and scale are close, but could be slightly improved. Scale seems a touch big, and traction a touch slick. I only do time trial though, I bet it’s good for racing.

Side note - does anyone have legitimate advice on how to get through the whoops? They are spaced so far apart and are so tall that blitzing them is an outright miracle for me.
Depends on what youre riding. 250 slap her in third and be a little bit leaned back all the way through. 450 just have good entry speed and shift 5th at the start and blip the throttle at each whoop. Works good for me. On round 4 in the first set of whoops stay right as the third whoop on the left is lower than the right and that might also be killing you
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Jrife548 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:56 am Ask rF
Asks rF:

rF:

I'll leave this here..
ktm161
Team: Underground RC

Post by ktm161 »

csibike wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:41 pm
ddmx wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:28 pm The engineer in me is trying to optimize something that doesn’t need to be optimized. I think traction and scale are close, but could be slightly improved. Scale seems a touch big, and traction a touch slick. I only do time trial though, I bet it’s good for racing.

Depends on what youre riding. 250 slap her in third and be a little bit leaned back all the way through. 450 just have good entry speed and shift 5th at the start and blip the throttle at each whoop. Works good for me. On round 4 in the first set of whoops stay right as the third whoop on the left is lower than the right and that might also be killing you
yes but no. 250 5th pinned and 450 what johnny said but and the end just 5th pinned and you should be fine. also johnny stop telling my secret about the left side
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Atom6246 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:48 pm I'll leave this here..
I was wondering why they did this and I was told it was because of lag reasons but this argument completely fumbles when you realize that outdoors has to use 2049x2049 because of the map size and then we have double the riders and we don't hear about many lag issues in outdoors.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:08 am I was wondering why they did this and I was told it was because of lag reasons but this argument completely fumbles when you realize that outdoors has to use 2049x2049 because of the map size and then we have double the riders and we don't hear about many lag issues in outdoors.
Animated flaggers, Java Script Fire, Leaderpole?
I hear nobody complaining about lag in EMF. And thats another head scratcher, 2k maps with more riders in outdoors...

I could very much be mistaken but JLV has been putting out optimization updates also right?

Wasn't there a poll casted on the forums that won majority vote that people have good enough PCs to run 2k maps in SX?
1% of people who voted run integrated graphics... we are sacrificing quality of erode and racing for 1%????
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Atom6246 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:09 am Animated flaggers, Java Script Fire, Leaderpole?
I hear nobody complaining about lag in EMF. And thats another head scratcher, 2k maps with more riders in outdoors...

I could very much be mistaken but JLV has been putting out optimization updates also right?

Wasn't there a poll casted on the forums that won majority vote that people have good enough PCs to run 2k maps in SX?
1% of people who voted run integrated graphics... we are sacrificing quality of erode and racing for 1%????
For your point on the javascript stuff, I've added many javascript functions on my own tracks that I've been working on and there's probably about 5 times as many functions going on in my tracks compared to your standard rF track and even timing all these functions has 0ms delays and no frame drops. Can't speak for someone with say a worse pc, however like you've said with this poll, majority of the community racing runs a good enough pc to handle 2k maps with multiple javascript functions and erode.

A lot of decisions made by rF this year when it comes to track making have been questionable in my opinion. Some other people enjoy it but I honestly feel like the scaling/build design of the tracks this year has yielded some pretty boring and unfun racing.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:08 am I was wondering why they did this and I was told it was because of lag reasons but this argument completely fumbles when you realize that outdoors has to use 2049x2049 because of the map size and then we have double the riders and we don't hear about many lag issues in outdoors.
A tighter scale will be slower since it has to do more work per square foot. As an example, say you have to check 16 triangles for the wheel to ground collision test at scale 1. Change it to .5 and now you're doing collision tests against 64 triangles. Erode would have the same problem.

Also, with a larger scale it takes longer to ride outside of the currently cached textures so it will spend less time drawing terrain textures.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 am A tighter scale will be slower since it has to do more work per square foot. As an example, say you have to check 16 triangles for the wheel to ground collision test at scale 1. Change it to .5 and now you're doing collision tests against 64 triangles. Erode would have the same problem.

Also, with a larger scale it takes longer to ride outside of the currently cached textures so it will spend less time drawing terrain textures.
Gotcha, your current project is still redoing the terrain-engine correct? I think I remember you saying somewhere that the goal was to get 4k maps about as efficient as 2k maps are now. That would theoretically nullify the need for 1k maps almost anywhere right? Or is there any distinct advantage to still using a 1k map?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:31 am Gotcha, your current project is still redoing the terrain-engine correct? I think I remember you saying somewhere that the goal was to get 4k maps about as efficient as 2k maps are now. That would theoretically nullify the need for 1k maps almost anywhere right? Or is there any distinct advantage to still using a 1k map?
When 4k maps are as fast as 1k is now, 1k will still be faster. Lower resolution is always faster. 4k will be more feasible but if you can get away with less you should always do it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ktm161

Post by ktm161 »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:08 am
Atom6246 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:48 pm I'll leave this here..
I was wondering why they did this and I was told it was because of lag reasons but this argument completely fumbles when you realize that outdoors has to use 2049x2049 because of the map size and then we have double the riders and we don't hear about many lag issues in outdoors.
well we will see how everything runs on 2k this week bc there is no possible way to fit glendale on 1k. also daytona and all the atlanta rounds last year were on 2k so i would think 2k would be good for us but idk. im dumb i guess
ktm161

Re: 2022 MotoOption Supercross Round 5 Glendale

Post by ktm161 »

its updated
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

Atom6246 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:48 pm
Jrife548 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:56 am Ask rF
Asks rF:

rF:

I'll leave this here..
It was the scale that was creating the lag. Using a terrain that is 4x the size at the same "scale" made the ground have 4x the resolution. Made for great erode and jump/corner shapes, but was giving everyone a ton of lag. Although, in fairness, we haven't tried it again since the beginning of that season. Would love to move back to 2k terrains for SX.
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

ktm161 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 am well we will see how everything runs on 2k this week bc there is no possible way to fit glendale on 1k. also daytona and all the atlanta rounds last year were on 2k so i would think 2k would be good for us but idk. im dumb i guess
Glendale is on a 1k terrain. The reason why there isn't as much lag as you'd expect on Daytona and Atlanta is due to the terrain scale not being as low as normal 1k SX tracks, eg. 0.6
Jeremy150

Re: 2022 MotoOption Supercross Round 5 Glendale

Post by Jeremy150 »

GLENDALE PASSWORD

H\t%Sf{[EvGb]h}3Z$8yXB