World of Echo: Motocross Interviews, Articles, and Videos

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
JConley691
Team: CG Motorsports

Re: World of Echo: Motocross Interviews, Articles, and Videos

Post by JConley691 »

Another video feature has been added to the site. I got together with Jeff Walker just before Christmas to shoot some stuff at Florida Tracks & Trails and 74 Family Fun Park. Some digital stuff, some film stuff. His style is pretty reserved, but he still knows how to toss his 450 around when he wants to! Pure speed. Let me know what you think. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Read more about Jeff and the trip below! If you're curious and have the time.
https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/01/02/jeff-walker/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Welcome back everybody, as I seem to say every time: sorry for the delay. This one certainly being longer than usual.

A lot has changed in my life since the beginning of the year (and since starting the site, which is coming up on its one-year anniversary here soon... jesus). I've taken up a part-time job at my family's business, a CNC shop specializing in resharp work: mostly scoring blades, carbide wheels, etc. My grandfather started the business years ago, with his wife, my Dad, my Aunt, and a few uncles and cousin's working there at one time or another. He has been able to pick up some of the slack work the last few years, but his age is starting to catch up with him, so I'm taking over a lot of his work there.

Of course, the plan is still to continue with World of Echo when I'm able to, making videos, conducting interviews, and writing articles. I honestly have plans to do more of all of those things, but it will have to wait until after I get off work during the week!

Either way, I have two interviews coming down the pipeline right now, this being one of them. It's a conversation with Avery Rost, who is an up and coming moto filmmaker out of Green Lake, Wisconsin. He interned with my last subject Kyle Cowling, oddly enough, which made for some fun conversation. He's a good kid with a lot of talent on his newly acquired RED setup. I look forward to what he has to offer in the future, and I hope after you're done reading, you will too. Some samples of his work are sprinkled throughout.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/03/02/avery-rost/

(Also, since I plan on tackling even more written topics this year in-between my work schedule, I've decided to retire the audio shows. I'm not sure if I will bring them back, but for now I'm going text-only again. Havoc, what's that text-to-audio program you use? I might recommend people to use that if they want to listen to these...)
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: World of Echo: A Blog About Motocross Filmmakers

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Grats on the job, but...Beware the shop life!

I use the "Read Aloud: Text to Speech" extension for Chrome. You highlight all of the text first, then choose a voice type and the speed at which it reads it to you in settings or options, then go! Downside to it is when it reads through any of the ads or inserted text that appears in the body of the text on an online page. It sure frees up time though!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Just got approval for the next interview to go up over the weekend. I've been trying to do something with Jordan Hoover since last summer, but he warned me he was a busy guy... Well, if it's any indication, our conversation finally landed today. This was pretty much the antithesis to last week's subject, where within the week I first contacted him we had an interview live. This stuff fluctuates is all I'm saying!

I love Jordan's outlook on life, his passion for the sport (and the art surrounding it), and his willingness to do everything on his own terms. I implore you to check out his website - http://uniformco.online. Lots of abstract works in and outside of moto. The fifth installment of his "Document" magazine project is still available for purchase there as well. If you haven't already gotten ahold of any, that's a good place to start. Our conversation is linked below if you've got time to check it out. Thanks.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/02/06/jordan-hoover/

Discussion includes: Moto banter, the foundation of his relationship with motocross and Fox Racing, why Instagram sucks, societal conformity, challenges and rewards of running an independent publication, and plans to create the next open space for creators with “Uniform,” among other things…
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

I know it’s been a couple months, but I’ve been working on a couple of projects (both inside and outside of World of Echo) that I hope to share with you guys in the weeks to come. The first one to hit the web is this video I shot at Freestone during the JS7 Spring Championship. I met up with Texas filmmaker Charles Bakke and we collaborated on this video (he shot all of the VX2000 footage). He has a video coming out as well from the event that will definitely be worth a watch. Here's a link to his channel!

As usual, there’s an accompanying article with photos and stories from the trip. I don’t think I’ve ever had more fun filming a motocross event, so I hope to return to Texas one day and do it all again! I also got to meet the elusive Donut MX as well, which was great. He shot a video too that should be a riot.

https://inaworldofecho.com/js7-spring-championship-2019
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

New interview out with Evergood's Tom Journet. We met up at Freestone during the JS7 Spring Championship to talk shop and Tom was cool as ever, considering he gave me the time of day during a super hectic trek across the south from Florida to Texas. Tom handles all of the video work at Evergood, including most of production of their flagship "Innermost" series. I learned how he tackles those projects, his relationship with fellow Evergoodians Matt Rice and Eric Shirk, and how he almost froze to death in the Rocky Mountains driving from Las Vegas to Iowa.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/04/03/tom-journet/

A more formal "Discussion includes:" Growing up at Raceway Park in New Jersey, creation and evolution of the “Innermost” video series, French music, loathing editing, and almost freezing to death in the mountains of Colorado, among other things…
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Outside of the usual methods for interviewing, I did a livestream with another video cohort from Texas, Brett Powers (aka Donut MX). We talk about YouTube, motocross, Loretta Lynn's, and Brian Deegan, among other things. Was a lot of fun. This conversation is a little more free-flowing than previous WOE entries. I’d recommend a listen on a long car ride or slow day in the office.

JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

I know I've been MIA for some time now... covering everything would be a page and a half worth of info in itself, so I'll spare the details. In between working at the shop, doing some film stuff on the west coast (briefly), riding, and just trying to figure out what the hell is going on with my life, it's been a busy summer. I've been sitting on this interview for almost two months, but today all of the corrections and edits have been made and I think it's one of the best ones yet.

New interview out with John Fox, the man behind the first three Terrafirma films. We spoke at length about building the franchise, how he got into film, working with everyone from Travis Pastrana to Jeremy McGrath, his brother Greg Fox freezing his ass off to film the late Donny Schmit at home in Minnesota, the origins of the infamous "Kids on the Couch" sequence with TP, James Stewart, and Ricky Carmichael, visiting Tower Records to browse for new music from relatively unknown acts like Pennywise and NOFX, and much more. These movies defined a generation of riders and filmmakers, so it was an honor to hear what he had to say. Part 1 of a 2 part series!

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/04/28/john-fox-part-1/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Back with part two of my conversation with John Fox. In the conclusion of our interview John talks about all things Jeremy McGrath (including Castillo Ranch for T2, the infamous "Friday the 13th" butt-patch he stitched Jeremy during his undefeated SX season, and Jeremy's supernatural freeriding abilities), John's favorite Terrafirma soundtrack, sweating it out at Loretta Lynn's with RC, JS7, NYK, Robby Horton, and Kristy Shealy, pushing the envelope with 16mm film, battling Jeff Surwall at No Fear, and what the Terrafirma legacy means to him.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/05/10/john-fox-part-2/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Hot off my John Fox piece I hopped on a call with GNCC/Moto filmer Mason Rader. He's a North Carolina native with a neat look at his role in the sport of motocross, and has been doing some really cool things lately. From filming on the road every week with the GNCC crowd to getting some work done at Southwick (not before stopping by Travis Pastrana's pad), he's been all over. Check him out.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/07/13/mason-rader/
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Wow! I'm so behind. Killer content dude! I started the John Fox one and haven't gotten back lately. I'll have to play catch up.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Wow! I'm so behind. Killer content dude! I started the John Fox one and haven't gotten back lately. I'll have to play catch up.
Word thanks man. I think that one is my favorite so far.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

As usual, it's been awhile, but I've been working hard the last few weeks to put this piece out today. I made this documentary about Loretta Lynn's with my friend Charles Bakke. We drove from Indiana and Texas, respectively, to collaborate on this project. Neither of us had been to Loretta’s before, so we wanted this video to not only share our own experiences, but those of the riders we chose as well. We hung around Lance Kobusch, Jazzmyn Canfield, Christopher Blackmer, Carson Mumford, Ryder DiFrancesco, and a few others throughout the week. It was a great time. I recommend any motocross fan to go visit, even if only as a spectator. It’s one of the craziest race events you can attend, seriously.

Hope you guys enjoy the video, I'll post up the written piece here as well. I just talk a little bit about certain points I was at during editing, and stories from the trip itself.

Article: https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/08/18/l ... ynns-2019/

JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

I have been getting a lot more video work these last few months, which has unfortunately slowed things down on the site and in this thread. The end of August through September was spent on the Loretta Lynn's video, and September to October was for this last piece with the Team Fried crew. I cut together a 20 min remix of Tom's footage and reimagined their trip overseas. Below is the video and a link to an article I wrote about my first experience outside of the US, alongside some photos by Matt Rice, Tom, and I. A mix of 35mm and Kodak point and shoot goodness.

Hope you guys dig it. Thanks for reading. Will try to get some interviews and articles going over the winter.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2019/10/26/e ... the-movie/

JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

We're about to close out another year and enter the second decade of the 2000's. It's hard to believe we're twenty years into the new millennium. So much has changed socially, politically, technologically... in the grand scheme of it all, I just wanted to talk to some people about motocross videos.

I'm happy to say that I'll be closing out the year with an interview from one of the sport's youngest visual talents, Mr. Jacob Hantis out of Australia. At a whopping 15 years of age, he's already amassed some five-thousand followers on his social media accounts, by continuing to offer us the brightest glimpses into the pulse of Australian motocross from his Panasonic GH5. I'm glad to close out the decade, and the 2nd year of World of Echo (jesus), with Jacob. Link below if you want to learn more about him. See you guys in 2020!

http://inaworldofecho.com/jacob-hantis

Discussion includes: The impact of the revamped AUS-X Open, skateboarding, fashion, having his idols be his peers, the unknown origins of his creative impulse, and how he plans to tackle the future of MX filmmaking…