World of Echo: Motocross Interviews, Articles, and Videos

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: World of Echo: A Blog About Motocross Filmmakers

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I think you have a very intuitive, easygoing style without pretense that could disarm the frostiest of hardcases. You also have a lot of knowledge of the sport and filming so you come in well prepared. That produces professional results. I'm just a tl;dr dude lol. No need to change just for me. Maybe if more people request it.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JConley691
Team: CG Motorsports

Post by JConley691 »

World of Echo, installment 11.

This time I got to speak with documentary filmmaker Todd Huffman, who you might know from his show on Speed, The Motocross Files, or his project on John Penton in 2014. He was even a producer on the follow up the seminal MX movie, On Any Sunday, with OAS: The Next Chapter. Todd reached out to me on Vital (of all places!) and expressed interest in coming on the show.

That's the other thing... I suppose this is a show now! Thanks to your boy Havoc, you can now listen to me ramble over the phone! The episode can be streamed on soundcloud HERE, or on YouTube (with accompanying visual aid at certain parts of our conversation) HERE. The Soundcloud link is also embedded on the blog, you just can't access the time stamps on there.

I don't think this is the best interview I've done... was definitely nervous trying to make sure I wasn't stepping over Todd since I was going to release the audio this time. I think in the future, now that I know how I'm going to go about it, I'll get better. This conversation is very much filmmaking based, so anyone who's really into the technical side of filmmaking will probably enjoy this more than the casual moto fan. Either way, hope some people get a kick out of it. Todd's a real OG, he knows his stuff.

Discussion includes: Growing up on moto and BMX in NorCal, meeting Don Hoffman at the Pipeline in Upland, why Speed Channel picked up “The Motocross Files,” stories from premiering “Penton: The Story of John Penton,” upcoming projects, and much more…

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/20 ... d-huffman/
TeamHavocRacing

Nice! You landed a whale! I sure miss The Motocross Files. Reminds me of the good days when cable had good, relevant content instead of the current crap-mill churning out lame-brained, unoriginal, copycat reality tv. Now I can listen while I work!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
TeamHavocRacing

So cool! I made it to the intermission before we had to go out and play in the stupid sun. I dig the old school skateboarding and BMX, it's part of my childhood. On Any Sunday was the reason I wanted to moto. I also had a gold Stingray with Ape Hanger bars and a banana seat. Great stuff man!
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Wow, it really has been a long ass time between interviews. Lots of bad luck with timing these past two months. I've had interviews lined up, fall through, re-schedule, all happening between my own priorities. Currently packing to spend a week at redbud for the mxon too, so I'll keep this one brief.

I spoke with Jimmy Bowron about PLAECO, his tenure with Motosport.com, his work on the Driven to Ride series with Derek Anderson and Tucker Saye, befriending Colton Haaker and his projects with that nut (X games real moto, HEATER, new projects). Super nice dude, had a lot to say. Read or listen below. Sorry for the wait!! I'm not ditching this project.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2018/09/26/jimmy-bowron/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Man I've had two interviews sitting in the pot waiting to be released! First one comes out today with one of the lead cinematographers at FOX Racing, Ricki Bedenbaugh. Ricki has a huge skateboarding background so we geeked out on that for the first half of our conversation, but we talk about his relatively new passion for motocross during the latter half. Ricki's super cool and he's been at the helm of some great projects in skating and moto. (New Deal's last video, videographer for Element skateboards, 411VM, and did some sick projects with Hunter Lawrence, Ken Roczen, etc.) FOX and SHIFT arguably have the best video departments in moto right now (and one of the few that actually EMPLOY a video department). Wish more companies were on top of that... but I digress. Read or listen below. Hope you enjoy!

https://inaworldofecho.com/2018/10/16/ricki-bedenbaugh/
TeamHavocRacing

I changed jobs recently and went through the training phase where you're super concentrated, but I'm relaxed enough now to listen to stuff again and this is gonna be perfect! The Motocross Files one was really good so I'd better get on it. I just finished the audio book of "Influx"(good book!) so I'm good to go. Thanks for all of this!
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:I changed jobs recently and went through the training phase where you're super concentrated, but I'm relaxed enough now to listen to stuff again and this is gonna be perfect! The Motocross Files one was really good so I'd better get on it. I just finished the audio book of "Influx"(good book!) so I'm good to go. Thanks for all of this!
Np! Next one just got approved by the subject so it'll be out in a few days. (daniel suarez's?) Influx looks interesting, though I've never been a strong reader outside of school. Last couple books I could get through were autobiographies (with super generous text size and spacing, lol). Hope the new job is going well.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

New interview with Dayton Daft, one of the minds behind Motosport's huge video run in 2013-2015, RIDE365.com, 365MX gear w/ Brett Cue, and the notorious Ronnie Mac character. Like I wrote about in the opener, Dayton was one of the first people I met in the moto industry and is someone I've often looked towards and asked for advice. He's super nice, down to Earth, and loves all things film and moto. We talked about starting the 365 brands, his relationship with Travis Pastrana and BQ, and the real story behind Ronnie Mac racing the Motocross of Nations. You can read or listen through the link below. Thanks :)

https://inaworldofecho.com/2018/10/15/dayton-daft/
TeamHavocRacing

Yeah bud! I got the "Read Aloud: Text to Speech" extension for Chrome and I can highlight all of the text in your early interviews and listen to them that way while I'm programming! The ultimate solution for tl;dr. I have a huge backlog of PulpMx and your content to keep me busy for a while.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Another big gap but I got a new piece with Kyle Cowling. I felt like we could've talked for hours, being on the same wavelength regarding inspiration and stresses. Kyle wanted to use this interview opportunity to talk about the difficulties of the creative business, which only seem to be compounded by the confusing common practice within the moto industry. Lots of crazy stuff that didn't go to print, but plenty there to make this one unique, which is almost exactly how I'd describe Kyle's work. It also helps that, like most people I talk with, I'm already a huge fan. Read or listen below. Thank you.

https://inaworldofecho.com/2018/12/02/kyle-cowling/

Discussion includes: Hired and fired in the nine-to-five rigamarole, working the beat as a photographer for Transworld Motocross, navigating the mental stresses of creative fulfillment vs. not starving to death, exploring narrative filmmaking and its effect on the future of Spectrum, and being Tarah Gieger’s #1 fan…

If you're unfamiliar with Kyle, check out https://vimeo.com/phantasosmedia.
Sib43
Team: pridemx.at

Post by Sib43 »

Huge fan of Kyle... one of the best in the motocross business imo. Thanks for WoE Jared.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Sib43 wrote:Huge fan of Kyle... one of the best in the motocross business imo. Thanks for WoE Jared.
You're welcome dude glad you liked it! Wouldn't be possible without that first piece :wink:
TeamHavocRacing

Yeah man. Keep 'em comin' bud! Just got caught up with PulpMx. About to finish my current Audible book. Ready soon to come back to these. I use a Chrome extension called "Read Aloud" to do text to speech for the text only interviews. It has many voices and I use the sexy British lady!
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

I really wish I could change the title of this topic now... another interview-less feature hits the site today: a photo article about the 2018 MXoN at RedBud. As some of you probably know, RedBud is my home track so this was a super special event. I spent eight days in a motorhome during the week/weekend and snapped some film photos to share with you. I also wrote about some of them. Check it out at your leisure below. Thanks!

I should have a new video feature with a rider out in January too, so hopefully that'll be good. Maybe once the holidays blow over I can track down some more interviews? Anyway this is "Homespun, A Look at the 2018 Motocross of Nations."

https://inaworldofecho.com/2018/12/11/h ... 2018-mxon/