Tuff Block Design for Safety

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
ddmx

Tuff Block Design for Safety

Post by ddmx »

Been thinking about tuff block design quite a bit over the last several weeks and think there could be some significant changes to improve safety without limiting advertising effectiveness. Dating back, the tuff block replaced the hay bale for several reasons, but for most on the track kept the original rectangular hay bale shape. I think they should be section dependent in design. For instance, rhythm lanes could benefit from reducing the height of the block by roughly half. Retain the safety of the padded landing, but reduce ability of the block to take a rider down on accidental contact (could essentially ride over top of the block without crashing). For whoops, a triangular shape that would allow a riders pegs to be over the top of the block if a rider came too close to it. Triangular and reducing the height by half have no impact on the logistics of transport and actually reduce the volume of blocks in the trailers by half as well. With tv camera angles and fan's eyes mostly from a top down angle, see little affect on advertising.

Anyways, random thoughts to improve the design for safety that someone with influence might be able to do something with.

Curious other thoughts.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: Tuff Block Design for Safety

Post by Pumaxcs »

I know in Euro SX's they do the tube or triangle bales. I'd also think pyramid shaped ones on corners wouldn't be such a bad idea. Honestly, on the basis of safety, I think you can easily point to the tuff blocks causing more crashes than them creating a softer landing. They are track markers with branding but they just don't want to phrase it like that.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Interesting the 1st turn after the finish at Daytona has a sloped block. Haven’t seen that before. Wonder if it’s in response to Webb and a couple other riders clipping inside lines with their pegs?
m121c

Post by m121c »

I too have thought a lot about this. I think there a lot of technological integrations that can be applied. I sketched a CAD solution for this last year when PulpMX was ranting about tuff blocks... kind of forgot about it. My ideas are this:

1. Position Stability - I think a lot of problems that stem from tuff blocks are that they move. Of course, you want the ability for track workers to manipulate them, but you don't want the bikes to accidently manipulate them. It's when they move that pile ups happen and they get clipped.

2. Shape - As you point out, certain shapes are much more advantageous to certain areas of the track. Geometry tricks can be used to maximize advertisement space, yet provide cushioning.

3. Lights - The tuff block base could potentially function a supplementary notification system. You could apply area lighting in the base that can be controlled (color, blinking, etc.) to function in key areas to alert riders of certain flags such as a red flag, red cross flag, or caution flag. (Think of entering a section that highlights the dirt in a yellow color on the side of the track the crash has a occurred). In theory, put the information where the riders are looking (the track).

4. Off track obstacles - We've seen it a couple of times hurt riders. Cables running all over the place. The tuff block base/anchor could implement cable management areas to strategically keep these out of the way.

My idea is that you could have LEDS along the edges that are sloped downwards (to reduce glare when on) that would illuminate the ground. The channels allow for the electrical cables, the hinges allow for it to conform to the track/storage in the trucks, and the holes would where you could insert a form pronged stake that would penetrate the ground holding it all in place. You could then fasten the tuff block to the stakes to anchor them in place... probably Velcro most likely. Nothing would protrude upwards that could hurt the rider. Additionally you could do some sort of slot design with base where the bales would somehow notch into the base instead of holding it in place with Velcro or other. I like the ability for the bale to freely slide into the base. It allows it to have more a give if someone does clip it, it can move, but not constrain it so it can not move into the race path. That way if you do hit one on a jump or something, it's not like you just clipped a stationary foam spring.

Just takes money really, something that the Feld does not want to do.
m121c

Post by m121c »

And even better design would be something like Nitro Circus is using for their big landings. Basically a rideable airbag. That way when you have a situation such as Jett clipping a tuff block on a landing... the rider can effectively ride through it.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

I like a track system idea where the anchor and tuff block is a differing mechanic. The added bonus of being able to have some function with cables and lights is cool too. Would have to be a pretty good light strip to be able to have a noticeable light from bouncing off ground and still be visible with the ambient lights of a stadium but I can imagine a lot of cool things with track lighting for open ceremonies.

Not sure about the airbag idea but I could see it working if they put a PVC pipe or bury the track system a bit when building. That works by having air escape and constantly pumped back in. Probably don't need a fully pressurized air tube to supply but depends on how many vacuums they having working and how well it can be hidden.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

m121c wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:38 pm And even better design would be something like Nitro Circus is using for their big landings. Basically a rideable airbag. That way when you have a situation such as Jett clipping a tuff block on a landing... the rider can effectively ride through it.
Those airbag landing ramps look like so much fun. I've been thinking about buying a small one but they aren't cheap.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »