2022 F1 Thread

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

2022 F1 Thread

Post by Pumaxcs »

That time again and with new car regulations, I could not be more ready for it.

The basic overview for anyone not keeping up, new low profile tires and new body aero requirements. This quick side by side shows the differences in teams front wing height/rake which is the first step in how the new car's aero works. Previous years its been above body aero to push the car down but if you were following another car the air would be disturbed and not work as well. This year the downforce is generated under the car in the floor and the rear wing is shaped to push all dirty air up to not disturb as much for those following. The main differences in cars can be seen in the sidepods where they are intaking air to cool the car and how its being exhausted to certain areas to assist in downforce.

First preseason testing is going on now in Spain but I wouldn't draw too much from laptimes as this will be mostly reliability testing rather than speed at this point. Only 4 weeks left until the opener though so I'm jacked to see it. Also going to be wild to see how the calendar plays out with some of the Middle East rounds and Russia if current events cause a detour.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Pumaxcs

Re: 2022 F1 Thread

Post by Pumaxcs »

First problems arise. With the downforce generated under the car most cars are generating too much downforce or not allowing enough height for the amount of air they are pushing through. Some changes to either help airflow or ride height to try and minimize the bouncing.

Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Really interesting to see. Fun to see Ferrari back on top of things.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

The official preseason hasn't even started yet and its been so nuts.

So they have canceled the Russian GP, some drivers and teams voiced concerns over it and the FIA had a meeting to call of the race "in current circumstances" so maybe a salvage but for now its been ruled out of the calendar.

An unforeseen side-effect of this has been HAAS and their title sponsor URAL KALI and its pay driver Nakita Mazepin. His Dad is the CEO of the company and was one of 37 CEO's who had a closed-door meeting with Putin prior to the invasion started. The Team immediately began removing logos from trucks and the car to distance themselves. The other side of this is with the driver and its two fronts. If countries start to impose sanctions against Russia and its citizens like not accepting travel and denying visa's he would be affected. If the current EU sanction and removing Russia from SWIFT (an international banking transaction service) and him being a "pay driver", meaning his seat isn't earned but paid for, and the money from his sponsor URAL KALI is no longer able to go through his seat is at jeopardy. Mazepin is already not well liked and consistently at the back so wouldn't surprise me if they take any chance they get to distance themselves from him entirely but this is only at the rumor stage still.

Progress is still being made for Andretti Motorsports to have a team. They were in rumored talked before about it but talks fell through. Now suddenly those talks have picked up again and with an announcement just recently they would use a Renault engine. Announcing an engine partner is a very big step in showing some commitment to it. Also heavy rumor current Indy car driver Colton Herta would be a candidate for a seat on the team.

Day 3 recap. They don't allow embed's from the official F1 channel so I'm done, just click the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx1OELqdAaY
MXS Cares
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Preseason testing continued to provide content with no teams being consistently good apart from Ferrari. Everyone assumed that Merc were sandbagging or making things seem worse than normal as they tend to do but...

Oh boy does this set up for a wild race. I'm going to be super bummed fro George, who waited in a Williams for years before getting a drive in a car that could win only for that car to no longer win. Same goes for Danny, he has jumped from team to team and seemingly caught them on their downslope on each turn
MXS Cares
jonracer594

Post by jonracer594 »

Well what a race..

6 Ferrari engines in the top 11
6 Mercedes engines at the bottom of the results
3 of 4 Honda engines dying

Almost feels like its more about the engine and less about aero or chassis this year but obviously a wild take after one race.

Also idk if its only me but between the 2nd stops and Gasly's DNF the race got kinda dry, like there wasn't any close battle or not? Last 10 laps were crazy tho.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

That whole thing was so crazy.

There in the middle, it got boring because it was just after the Verstappen/Leclerc battle. There was still something close but just not as much in comparison. I'll agree I had the same feeling but I think it was more so the adrenaline crash and not the race itself. Fair to say the new cars worked though. There wasn't any big DRS drags and the cars looked great in racing.

Crushed for Red Bull cars, they both looked really good and running not far off Ferrari. The issue with Max's steering apparently happened during the stop when they dropped him off the jack. Gasly and Perez could be related issues though. Good on George for pulling up so close to Lewis after starting so far back.

My takeaway is that teams have more aero doing aero work than cooling. Redirecting the air to the floor for downforce is an obvious priority but now with race conditions and new data, I suspect many teams will have some new packages in a week or two to combat the engine and brake cooling issues. Not sure if it was just a night race/tire problem but want to see how the tire warming plays out in the future. With all that though and other possible changes, that leaves Ferrari damn near untouchable if that ends up being the case, which is a crazy sentence I wasn't sure I'd ever say again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYPuzWCCSw
MXS Cares
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Poor F1 cannot catch a break this season. You can see the grandstands at the bottom of the photo.

Round 2 in Saudi Arabia an attack on an oil storage field a few miles from the track was hit during Free Practice 1. The was confirmed an attack by Yemen rebel groups with the ongoing conflict they've had going. They had a meeting with team managers and drivers and are trying to keep the situation under control to have the race continue as scheduled.

Obviously, the hosting country doesn't want much attention to this but, I'm not sure if it's going to work out and if there was a driver strike it wouldn't surprise me.

MXS Cares
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Pumaxcs wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:14 am Obviously, the hosting country doesn't want much attention to this but, I'm not sure if it's going to work out and if there was a driver strike it wouldn't surprise me.
https://twitter.com/StephWentworth_/sta ... 6507728902
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 7892879372

So after FP2 there were many meetings. One with the bosses, one with the drivers, and one with both. Seems they were able to convince the team managers easier than the drivers who had lots of pushback. The FIA also canceled media sessions, possibly because the meeting ran long and there wasn't time for it or... you know.

The race is confirmed to be scheduled as planned. The managers were pulled into the driver's meeting because the FIA were not getting anywhere on getting the drivers to agree.

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 1296615425
https://twitter.com/MotorsportWeek/stat ... 9389770753

Why would the FIA and teams try so hard to convince the drivers otherwise? They were threatened to be held hostage by the Suadi government if they did not proceed. What. The. Fuck.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60880598

"But eventually they were convinced to go ahead and race after being given further information by bosses.

Part of this information involved the possible consequences of not racing, such as how easily teams and drivers would be able to leave the country if the race did not happen."

"Mohammed Ben Sulayem, president of F1's governing body the FIA, said: "They are targeting the infrastructure, not the civilians, and, of course, not the track. We've checked the facts and we've got assurances from the highest level that this is a secure place. Let's go on racing.""

Also, great news. These terrorists are reasonable people. No chance of an attack tomorrow because they haven't attacked the track yet. I'll not be watching this one live. Would absolutely hate to see anything other than racing.
MXS Cares
jonracer594

Post by jonracer594 »

Pumaxcs wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:35 am Part of this information involved the possible consequences of not racing, such as how easily teams and drivers would be able to leave the country if the race did not happen.
Honestly I kind of had this thought the whole time, but in the way of whether they race or not, if the terroists want to hit the track or facilities and create terror, they would do it no matter what. I doubt that anybody would have been able to pack up and leave Jeddah after those late night meetings to not be in danger.

And the part of not being able to leave just goes to show what money can do to a sport.. Last year we had those rockets being fired over the Formula E race and this year the explotion.. Maybe F1 needs to reconsider this contract once everybody has safely left the country.
LucaaaNixxos
Team: jibr

Post by LucaaaNixxos »

What a race that was huh? A lot of overheating problems is very interesting. Max was superb today, and so was Charles. Sergio unlucky again :(
George really just drove the maximum of the car, Lewis underperforming with a bad setup but seemed like having a better race pace than qualy pace. Alpine was looking good, Ocon maybe a bit too aggressive, Alonso unlucky. Lando had a strong pace in the MCL. Another Points Finish for Haas and KMag, which is great especially after the practice time KMag had on the Circuit.
Latifi, well, what shall i say...

I am so ready for this season, i hope the Max and Charles battle goes all season long. Ferrari vs RedBull seems to be the story of the year, though RedBull with the double DNF in Bahrain are on the backfoot in the C-Championship, so is Max in the D-Championship (DChampionship hihi). But long season ahead!
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

I can’t pretend to even understand all of the intricate rules. Why did Hamilton go to mediums instead of soft?
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

Either he didn't have any decent softs left or he/his team felt more comfortable with him pushing on the mediums would be my guesses.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
jonracer594

Post by jonracer594 »

ddmx wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:45 am I can’t pretend to even understand all of the intricate rules. Why did Hamilton go to mediums instead of soft?
I didn't get that aswell. My guess was maybe track temperature or whatever but tbh I got no clue how that works in the first place :lol:
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Pumaxcs wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:35 pm... had a closed-door meeting with Putin...
Hmmm... sounds so familiar. Since it's already been politicized, had to poke. I love how the racing has improved.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.