Spec and Norm files

Post about creating and skinning models here
SirWrecksAlot

Spec and Norm files

Post by SirWrecksAlot »

Alright I've finally, really got the hang of skinning. Now all I need to know is how to create .spec files. and .norm files. I see them in the templates I use but, I know I'm supposed to save them as 2 separate .png's but, when do I save them? Lets say I'm creating a bike, I've got my graphics, numbers, etc. Does the layer go above all other layers, and above my graphics and numbers? Thank you for your time.
Cummings55
Team: RFORCE8

Re: Spec and Norm files

Post by Cummings55 »

Yes, both will go over your skins so all you should see in the norm file for example would be the blue/purple color. Also, you can save them as _norm or _spec after the name of the .jm so it will apply to all skins in your pack. For example, lets say you have 3 bikes with different numbers. Lets say your skin names are 450sxfv2016-Monster Kawasaki- Rider 333.png You can save the norm as 450sxfv2016-Monster Kawasaki_norm and it will then apply that norm to all bikes that have that beginning .jm name. Also when you create your .saf file, if you do, click the box that says "strip from selected files" or something along those lines. Hopefully that helped a bit!
jb ollinac
Team: Privateer

Post by jb ollinac »

Is it ok that there is no norm and spec in bike mx simulators ... because I have a cutout of astars ktm and I put my numbers and I tried and the cutout doesn't work..so what I did was I made a png image and I also made saf files in case it doesn't work so .... how to make norm and spec png?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

If the model doesn't have a normal or specular map the game will use smooth normals and the specular values from the jm file. You probably just have the file named incorrectly.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.