2009-03-11 snapshot

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
frederick
Team: Adept

Re: 2009-03-11 snapshot

Post by frederick »

jlv wrote:- "Model Geometric Detail" now hides distant track objects when set to 10 or less.
SIIIIIIIIIIIICK!
So now noone can blame cutting on the lag caused by the objects anymore i guess. PWN
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

JLV , you are a machine ! You rock
Thanks a lot for all your effort dude we appreciati it !
Lucas.715 wrote:wonderfull .... now i can to make some videos of Madness Game Cross Online.....

it is Insane!
Dude next tiem you post a movie on youtube
put MX Simulator - name of your movie because its easier tyo find and some stupid guys think its Motocross Madness 2 ( old game)
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
rgaede

Post by rgaede »

Mikey wrote:How come i can not see any objects at all? it sucks
I run the settings all at 0, to make the high def tracks work better. This helps me especially online, but with this snap, I can't even see the start-gate when I'm lined up at the beginning of a race. I've reverted back to the old (3-4) snap in order to fix this. Wondering if this is a glitch, or does the game prevent loading statue images from closer and closer as the geometric detail setting goes down?
(hope that's clear, it's late where I'm at)
Rgaede Past numbers #333 #19 Now #373

DILLIGAF
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Try putting your model geometric detail on 10, so it will only hide distant objects

I would like to know how the model geometric detail works, at what settings does it make certain LOD models come in?
rgaede

Post by rgaede »

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, right now is sleepy time.
Rgaede Past numbers #333 #19 Now #373

DILLIGAF
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The lod levels are in feet in powers of 2 (1ft, 2ft, 4ft, 8ft etc). Model geometric detail just scales the distance from the observer. At 0 the game will act like objects are 8 times farther than they really are, at 50 the distance isn't scaled, and at 100 the scale is 0, so it will draw the highest lod no matter how far the object is.

In this version, objects are now hidden entirely depending on the distance when the model geometric detail is 10 or less. The distance used is d*d*20, where d is the detail setting.
0: 0ft
1: 20ft
2: 80ft
3: 180ft
4: 320ft
5: 500ft
6: 720ft
7: 980ft
8: 1280ft
9: 1620ft
10: 2000ft
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mumhra

Post by Mumhra »

I still have some problems with the restarts. The voting thing is great but according to me 50% is not enough to ask for a restart.
I often see people connecting and immediately asking for a restart. I really don't understand why. It is only normal that you let the guys finish the race before you start asking for a restart. When i join i look if they are actually racing or not. If they are not i will ask for a restart so that i can join. If they are i just patiently wait for ALL bikes to finish and then i ask for a restart. Sadly most don't think like me and keep on asking for restarts which is very annoying. Everytime that same message again and again in the upper left corner. I even once saw a guy who thought it was funny to ask for a restart every time the bikes left the gate. And then some others (who also just joined or who had a crash during a race) start asking for a restart as well and before you know it you are back at the gate. This gets very frustrating. Only occasionaly we manage to finish a race.

Therefor i ask for this 50% to be upped. In other games (rFactor, Quake live) this is at 80%. Now 80 maybe is to much but according to me 50 is not enough.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I find it stupid when people want to restart after the 2nd last lap... why? The race is just about over anyway...
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I think part of it is that when you enter a race, you don't know what lap anyone is on because it automatically says the rider is on the 1st lap. Asking what lap they are on is obviously not going to work since everyone is racing, not talking to each other. I agree though, if you enter a race, wait for it to end before requesting a restart (unless no one is racing and just screwing around).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Mumhra

Post by Mumhra »

True.. you don't know what lap they are on. But worst case scenario they actually are in lap 1 so you will have to wait 5 laps. A lap normally takes not a lot longer then 2 minutes so you will have to wait 10 minutes. Bummer but so be it. It is only polite to wait those 10 minutes. If you can see that people actually are racing and not fooling around just wait those 10 minutes.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

The next snapshot will have the timing fixed.

The downside of lowering the restart threshold is when people are just gooning around it will be harder to get a race started. Maybe I should just make it not restart as long as the leader is still making progress?

Pretty much anything can be abused in one way or another.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

IMO it is fine as is. You have to remember these are public servers, and are the only 3 servers available for everyone who owns the game. We'll just have to try and get along until this situation looks up.

Just make sure when we can host our own servers we have the option to change the threshold, or disable restart voting completely.
Netdemon01

Post by Netdemon01 »

The restarts can definitely be annoying at times. There were about 5 of us running a race at Budds Creek and made it to about lap 3 or 4. Meanwhile quite a few people had joined the server and kept requesting a restart. Unfortunately enough of them finally joined the server to force a restart. I hate impatient people that can't wait for those who are trying to race for the race to finish. Most of the time it is a bunch of noobs that just want to ride around and not race anyways. :x

"This game will always be about pushing it right to the edge without going over .... to keep up with the top riders you will still have to be right on the edge of control." - jlv
totorox

Post by totorox »

jlv wrote:... as the leader is still making progress?
Pretty much anything can be abused in one way or another.
There's some idee, start a lap time based timer when 1st's finishing race to finish lap for other.

or look like other games
vote (with timer) for restart, vote for changing track
ps: where i can have a list of in game commands like; 'server, spec', 'server, play'
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

There is also "server, nexttrack", but you need the server password for that.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com