JLV PLZ CONFIRM

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.

Does the main stability setting make your game feel different if you run the same advanced?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 30

Noah124
Team: Goated

JLV PLZ CONFIRM

Post by Noah124 »

There is a debate with my brain dead brother on this. For example, If you were to play with your main stability setting on 0 and then change it to 100, but go back and change your advanced to the same as it was when you played with 0 then it will feel slightly different. Please prove to this dumbass that he is wrong.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: JLV PLZ CONFIRM

Post by Wahlamt »

The stability slider creates a preset for the advanced ability, nothing else. So if you have the exact same advanced, there's no different. Sorry, placebo bud ;)
InsaneFMX
Team: Flipin 150ft triples

Post by InsaneFMX »

Wahlamt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 am The stability slider creates a preset for the advanced ability, nothing else. So if you have the exact same advanced, there's no different. Sorry, placebo bud ;)
Facts, I've had too many headaches trying to tell people this
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

I voted yes because my dumbass read this as if you change the main stability will it affect the advanced. To answer your question, no. The only real difference I can think of is that the main stability changes increments of certain values in the advanced, but you can just change those in the config file to whatever number you'd like.

But if you have number to number exact same advanced changing the main stability does absolutely nothing.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I didn't originally plan on exposing the advanced settings. It was just going to be the one stability setting for the sake of user friendliness and it would control all the other settings. I had a hidden menu for the advanced settings so I could experiment with them without having to recompile the game. But I talked about the hidden menu in the forum and people liked it so I put a link to it in the setup menu so it'd be visible without having to hit a secret key. I think you had to press * when the stability control was selected to bring it up originally.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Noah124
Team: Goated

Post by Noah124 »

All I know is when I changed it from 0 to 15 I started to shred so either I'm retarded or I'm retarded.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Noah124 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:33 am All I know is when I changed it from 0 to 15 I started to shred so either I'm retarded or I'm retarded.
Then you probably changed something else that was helpful 8)
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

jlv wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 am I didn't originally plan on exposing the advanced settings. It was just going to be the one stability setting for the sake of user friendliness and it would control all the other settings. I had a hidden menu for the advanced settings so I could experiment with them without having to recompile the game. But I talked about the hidden menu in the forum and people liked it so I put a link to it in the setup menu so it'd be visible without having to hit a secret key. I think you had to press * when the stability control was selected to bring it up originally.
I've actually been thinking about asking you something for awhile. I think we are too used to the settings we have access too, so taking them away would cause chaos, but I think some of the values in the advanced stability and rider vert/forward settings could be reduced in terms of their max value. For example, for the sake of game realism on stream etc, I think it would be better to max out our rider forward spring at around 80 and not allow any damping below 30 or something. I think the amount of freedom you give us for some of the settings is a bit much and so people start looking a little weird/unrealistic in their riding styles because using realistic settings would be a disadvantage.

Just for my curiosity, how would you compare for example, 100 steering strength and 1000 max steering force to real life? Is it actually comparable to real life human arm strength? Or is 100 1000 all giving us arms like Dwayne Johnson power wise?
Tanner Rogers
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

motokid499 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm I've actually been thinking about asking you something for awhile. I think we are too used to the settings we have access too, so taking them away would cause chaos, but I think some of the values in the advanced stability and rider vert/forward settings could be reduced in terms of their max value. For example, for the sake of game realism on stream etc, I think it would be better to max out our rider forward spring at around 80 and not allow any damping below 30 or something. I think the amount of freedom you give us for some of the settings is a bit much and so people start looking a little weird/unrealistic in their riding styles because using realistic settings would be a disadvantage.

Just for my curiosity, how would you compare for example, 100 steering strength and 1000 max steering force to real life? Is it actually comparable to real life human arm strength? Or is 100 1000 all giving us arms like Dwayne Johnson power wise?
It's definitely unrealistically strong. It'd be real hard to put more than a couple hundred pounds of torque into the handlebars.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

jlv wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:45 am It's definitely unrealistically strong. It'd be real hard to put more than a couple hundred pounds of torque into the handlebars.
Would you ever consider revamping the advanced stability settings to a narrower range of more realistic values? I would worry about people complaining in the short term for sure, but I was interested to hear that you never intended to allow the advanced stability to be tweaked.

I've always thought that the amount of damping we use is far too high, but I've also felt that not using maxed out strengths and forces can also be a disadvantage, which forces us to use high damping leading to a bunch of forces fighting against each other and some weird things happening.

Is the steering strength measured in ft-lb? What is the measurement for steering force?
Tanner Rogers
Brent929
Team: MAPW

Post by Brent929 »

Noah124 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:33 am All I know is when I changed it from 0 to 15 I started to shred so either I'm retarded or I'm retarded.
Shred on 15.
InsaneFMX
Team: Flipin 150ft triples

Post by InsaneFMX »

motokid499 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:08 am
jlv wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:45 am It's definitely unrealistically strong. It'd be real hard to put more than a couple hundred pounds of torque into the handlebars.
Would you ever consider revamping the advanced stability settings to a narrower range of more realistic values? I would worry about people complaining in the short term for sure, but I was interested to hear that you never intended to allow the advanced stability to be tweaked.

I've always thought that the amount of damping we use is far too high, but I've also felt that not using maxed out strengths and forces can also be a disadvantage, which forces us to use high damping leading to a bunch of forces fighting against each other and some weird things happening.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

motokid499 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:08 am

Is the steering strength measured in ft-lb? What is the measurement for steering force?
There'd be a *lot* of negative feedback if I limited the max force to 200.

The max steering force and steering strength are torques in foot pounds.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

jlv wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:40 pm There'd be a *lot* of negative feedback if I limited the max force to 200.
You can forward that to my inbox.