MXS Twitter

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: MXS Twitter

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Chastain was in a roundtable with Logano etc. and swore he hadn't thought at all about that move until the white flag and radio saying you need to pass two guys to stay in the Chase!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:20 amGlider guns all the way down...
I thought of you when I saw this and wondered if you've seen it?
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:01 pm I thought of you when I saw this and wondered if you've seen it?
No, I've never seen that one. It's nuts. I wonder how long it takes them to come up with those configurations.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:56 amIt's nuts.
Some of the other "Why do they do this? It's still awesome!" experiments...

jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:42 pm
jlv wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:56 amIt's nuts.
Some of the other "Why do they do this? It's still awesome!" experiments...
Yeah, although it's easy to see how you could do Doom in an Excel script. They've had Basic scripting for forever and now you can even use other languages. Those life setups are crazy because it's hard to understand how they find them. Like when they crash a bunch of gliders together to form a glider gun. Did they just randomly mess around until they found that? Or is there some method to it? You can't just run it in reverse since there are multiple ways to reach a particular state. You could create a tree of all possible configurations that lead to the configuration you want, but the tree would get huge fast.

Speaking of hardware doing things it was never meant to, check out this demo:

The "ANSI from hell" graphics are cool, but I think the sound is what impresses me the most. The PC speaker is not supposed to be able to make sound like that. It's just a timer connected to a square wave generator. You can't even set the amplitude.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

If you want to know how that demo works, there's an article here.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:19 amThe "ANSI from hell" graphics are cool, but I think the sound is what impresses me the most. The PC speaker is not supposed to be able to make sound like that. It's just a timer connected to a square wave generator. You can't even set the amplitude.
That totally reminds me of the '90's splash screens you'd see when you boot up a cracked game. OOPS! I meant borrowed from a friend who had it. I got frustrated when people started putting energy into making retro, or retro-looking stuff when they should(of course) be making new stuff that pushed the boundaries of current tech.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm That totally reminds me of the '90's splash screens you'd see when you boot up a cracked game. OOPS! I meant borrowed from a friend who had it. I got frustrated when people started putting energy into making retro, or retro-looking stuff when they should(of course) be making new stuff that pushed the boundaries of current tech.
That's actually where the demos started. The crackers would try to one up each other with the title screens and eventually the intros became their own thing.

Nothing wrong with retro. Pixel art is its own genre. No reason for it to die just because the hardware got better.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:13 amNothing wrong with retro.
Grumpy old man syndrome. It's the games, not the art. Microprose and others have done some things lately that trigger me too. Half-graphics.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:54 pm Grumpy old man syndrome. It's the games, not the art. Microprose and others have done some things lately that trigger me too. Half-graphics.
I had no idea MicroProse was back! How did they trigger you?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:07 amI had no idea MicroProse was back! How did they trigger you?
It's easy! Just come up quite a significant amount short of what you're capable of and give it some kind of half-assed sappy nostalgia(ain't it all sappy?) and you'll get good enough sales numbers. No risk. It's like pabulum. Tiny Combat Simulator and Art of Rally come to mind. I'm not singling them out, but they stand out. It's what their games looked like in '92. That's why I hated the popularity of Minecraft, but understand it's place now. It's definitely fun for some, but we used to have a head of steam building more realistic worlds and it's all so cartoon, comic and fantasy based now that unreality is ironically the norm. The state of movie franchises right now reflect that and it's truly disgusting. Name 3 movies right now that aren't remakes, sequels or stupid origin stories. Not to mention nostalgia like Ready Player One for example. I'm sure the real Boomers loved the '50s nostalgia in the '80's! All of this is about escapism, but it used to be a lot more real-world based with visual and physical reproduction paramount. That is all. You had to ask, didn't you? Now everyone thinks I'm just some grumpy old man!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I had never heard of Tiny Combat Simulator, but I looked up the trailer and it looks kind of fun. You have to give them a break - they probably had a million dollar budget and already spent half of it on the MicroProse trademark!

I was going to take a shot at the 3 movies, but I googled "2022 movie releases" and didn't recognize any of them!
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

I told you it would be pert-near impossible. Next we'll get origin stories of some janitor from the death star, or worse MCU! I held so much regard for Microprose! Gaming goodness galore. I wore out my Grand Prix Circuit floppy disks since they had the first good elevation change I found in a race sim.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:45 pm I told you it would be pert-near impossible. Next we'll get origin stories of some janitor from the death star, or worse MCU! I held so much regard for Microprose! Gaming goodness galore. I wore out my Grand Prix Circuit floppy disks since they had the first good elevation change I found in a race sim.
Have you ever read this? The MicroProse you remember was Sid Meier and Bill Stealey. The current MicroProse is just some guy who bought the trademark. I've actually considered doing the same thing. It'd be fun to have the trademark of some forgotten but classic old brand.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

Like Broderbund or On-Line Systems! I was into Geoff Crammond games.