Game frustrations

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Treake
Team: Privateer

Game frustrations

Post by Treake »

I'm an older guy at the ripe old age of 50 trying to play this game and there are two things that I find very frustrating and one makes no sense to me. The first is the lack of traction. There just doesn't seem to be any traction in the game. The biggest frustration is the opposite turning when you are going at a slower pace. I want to go right it's turned left and vice versa. That makes no sense to me at all. It's not very realistic. Am I the only one with these frustrations or are there others?

Thanks,
Treake
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Game frustrations

Post by Wahlamt »

Hi!

It's definitely a game to get used to. Most "old" tracks are extremely slick, many tracks after 2015 is a lot better. The leaning is just counter-intuitive at first, once you get going it'll all make sense.

The slick traction would make more sense if you approach it carefully as if it actually had consequenses when you crash, it'll be better.

Here's one track with more traction and resistance, maybe that's working better.
Treake

Post by Treake »

I appreciate the response and I will have to give that track a try. The opposite turning at a certain speed or however it's set is strange. It makes recovering challenging when you want the bars to turn right to recover and they go left and vice versa. They will even turn the opposite direction in the air. Doesn't seem very realistic and maybe eventually I will get use to it but it's a big frustration at the moment.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Treake wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:27 am ...reverse turning...
I know, it takes time to get used to, but once you're a bit better you'll take off no problem. Got the same issue with mx bikes, I flop around like Magikarp trying to get away. Seems as once you get going (both games), it isn't a struggle.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the inverse steering at low speeds is due to the fact that the game uses reverse steering to lean the bike over. So once you're at a low enough speed where you can't really lean the bike your bars will just turn in the opposite direction.

I'm pretty sure there's a setting where you can change this, but the downside is that now when you lean the bike it will be in the opposite direction you're turning, but at least your bars won't turn the opposite direction at slow speeds.

It's just a counterintuitive thing you gotta get used to. I remember it being weird for me when I started playing the game 6 years ago but it's just second nature at this point.

Lack of traction is all about the track you're playing and your skill level. Since you're new if you're playing stock tracks that will definitely feel slick, but most tracks posted nowadays in the tracks section of the forum have a sticky feel, so go download one of those and give it a try. Once you're better at the game those other tracks will still feel slick but you'll have the skill level to manage your way through it.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The countersteering is what happens in real life. There's no way to make a realistic bike simulation without having that effect.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Treake

Post by Treake »

I appreciate the replies and tips but man it's frustrating. Ha! The bike bounces around and does crazy crashes, the rider doesn't release the bike, takes forever to get going again but when you actually hit a section right, you are like, ok, this isn't so bad. Ha!Ha!
patrickadizzle

Post by patrickadizzle »

Biggest advice I can give you is to just keep playing... there is no one piece of advice anyone can give you where suddenly you become fast. You just have to figure it out on your own unfortunately, but that is what makes this game so rewarding and so satisfying. The traction does feel broken at first but once you 'get' how the game works, you'll have no problem with it later on.

Definitely stay away from 450's until you can master the 250f and 125.

If you want post a picture of your setup along with your advanced stability setup, I and others here can try and give you some helpful tips on suspension and what advanced stability sliders to mess with and how to experiment with them.
Accomplishments: Nothing, but i almost win all races in 00, 01, 02, 03
Treake

Post by Treake »

patrickadizzle wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:46 pm Biggest advice I can give you is to just keep playing... there is no one piece of advice anyone can give you where suddenly you become fast. You just have to figure it out on your own unfortunately, but that is what makes this game so rewarding and so satisfying. The traction does feel broken at first but once you 'get' how the game works, you'll have no problem with it later on.

Definitely stay away from 450's until you can master the 250f and 125.

If you want post a picture of your setup along with your advanced stability setup, I and others here can try and give you some helpful tips on suspension and what advanced stability sliders to mess with and how to experiment with them.
Too late. I've already been using the 450. Ha! I've tried the 250 but the lack of power makes it tough for me to get over any of the jumps or to at least hit the bigger jumps. I will post the setup I'm using to see what you think. I can't remember where I found it but it was somewhere on here and I may have messed with it some trying to figure stuff out. Just curious, does the handling characteristics vary from bike to bike or is it pretty much the same for all of them?
Treake

Post by Treake »

Here is the setup.
Treake

Post by Treake »

Well, I'm trying to attach the setups but it's not working for some reason.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Open the setup file in notepad, then copy it's content and paste it here as text :)
Treake

Post by Treake »

Where do you find the setup file? I've looked the mxsimulator file folder and I don't see a setup file or folder in there.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Treake wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 am Where do you find the setup file? I've looked the mxsimulator file folder and I don't see a setup file or folder in there.
Should be in your config file if you haven't saved any setups before.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Personal folder/config
Or
Personal folder/setups/yoursetup