heightmap scram

Post your suggestions here
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: heightmap scram

Post by Wahlamt »

jlv wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:01 am
xAlpha wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:33 pm Additionally, the GUID lock system is just that, A LOCK to the given GUID. A creator can fully lock an item (track, bike model, etc.) to any given GUID. If this item is shared to a GUID it wasn't specifically locked FOR, the item will not work in the game.
It's funny, people have been asking me about a feature like that for MX Sim lately and I've been telling them it can't do it. I just remembered I actually did implement that back in 2016. I think rF wanted it for early access tracks or something like that. You just do this -

mxscram --target 12345 terrain.png -o terrain.png.scram

Now terrain.png.scram is only readable by UID 12345.

Sorry I forgot that, must be old age setting in!
Never realized the 2016 tracks was scrammed. Just thought it was black magic.
xAlpha
Team: Privateer

Post by xAlpha »

jlv wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:51 am
xAlpha wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:15 am nothing gets put on the shop that's ripped, it needs permission from the original creator (if imported they normally get a % of sales). For bikes, we only upload and have swaps for bikes that we know are legit and not ripped, most are created in-house by the oem team. Therefor we don't allow people buying ripped bikes at all, anyone caught doing so through unofficial sources gets punished. Obviously we can't stop people buying ripped models completely and can't refund their money if they bought it from a random disc server, but we will find that server and punish the owners/leakers severely, and the buyers will be warned or worse. Obviously as OEM bike swaps are GUID locked, like tracks, they have a strict process before they're in the position to be sold, so they don't make it to that stage if they're ripped.
That makes more sense. I thought it was open to any random uploader which would be crazy.
Yeah as far as I'm aware, the Shop has a pretty heavy scrutiny process which means not just ANY uploader can sell on the site, only some of the best content creators can sell there.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:01 am mxscram --target 12345 terrain.png -o terrain.png.scram
To implement this with multiple UIDs is it comma separated or is only one target uid option available? Also on top of that I think I remember hearing that the tracks were released without the terrain and once the track was purchased the buyer would then be sent the terrain.png? Seems very tedious if you had to do it for every person.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:23 am
jlv wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:01 am mxscram --target 12345 terrain.png -o terrain.png.scram
To implement this with multiple UIDs is it comma separated or is only one target uid option available? Also on top of that I think I remember hearing that the tracks were released without the terrain and once the track was purchased the buyer would then be sent the terrain.png? Seems very tedious if you had to do it for every person.
It's just the one UID. It was tedius. I had a script on files.mxsimulator.com that would let them generate new UID specific downloads without having to re-upload every time.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
VUSTTOS
Team: Spanish MX Gamers

Post by VUSTTOS »

@jakkobhubbard, I can't think of a better guy to create a shop for the MxSim tracks. That would be awesome as I think it will increase the number of tracks released + would be motivation so track creators don't go away. Please do it!

Just to add information - the owner of the MxBikes shop (Niko Mouk, ex-MxSim community member) gets around 30% of each sale.
https://www.mxbikes-shop.com/
Alex V111#1017
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

VUSTTOS wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:22 am @jakkobhubbard, I can't think of a better guy to create a shop for the MxSim tracks. That would be awesome as I think it will increase the number of tracks released + would be motivation so track creators don't go away. Please do it!

Just to add information - the owner of the MxBikes shop (Niko Mouk, ex-MxSim community member) gets around 30% of each sale.
In my opinion unless tracks have specifically something unique to offer (like mini-games or a high quality compound with hundreds of hours of work), I believe tracks should be free to play for anyone and not be put behind a paywall for newer players. I've never really been a fan of dlc in other mx games and that's what I like about the sim community when it comes to content. It's a little different with models and gear because one person can buy the model or gear and make an entire teams worth of skins and I know those people put a ton of time and effort into their work as well.

I guess it could help more creators pump out more content if they felt they were going to make some sort of money for their effort but at the same time this community isn't really growing or huge at the moment and putting something behind a paywall just limits the amount of people that can enjoy your work. I also think jlv feels the certain way considering the switch that was made from paid tracks in 2016 outdoors to free tracks in 2017 supercross but with paid racing.
VUSTTOS
Team: Spanish MX Gamers

Post by VUSTTOS »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:47 am
VUSTTOS wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:22 am @jakkobhubbard, I can't think of a better guy to create a shop for the MxSim tracks. That would be awesome as I think it will increase the number of tracks released + would be motivation so track creators don't go away. Please do it!

In my opinion unless tracks have specifically something unique to offer (like mini-games or a high quality compound with hundreds of hours of work), I believe tracks should be free to play for anyone and not be put behind a paywall for newer players. I've never really been a fan of dlc in other mx games and that's what I like about the sim community when it comes to content. It's a little different with models and gear because one person can buy the model or gear and make an entire teams worth of skins and I know those people put a ton of time and effort into their work as well.

I guess it could help more creators pump out more content if they felt they were going to make some sort of money for their effort but at the same time this community isn't really growing or huge at the moment and putting something behind a paywall just limits the amount of people that can enjoy your work. I also think jlv feels the certain way considering the switch that was made from paid tracks in 2016 outdoors to free tracks in 2017 supercross but with paid racing.
There are obviously different opinions. It's just sad to see the low amount of content released compared to years ago, and seeing creators go away. This would be a motivation for them. It works well in MxBikes and would work well in MxSim. It's not that all tracks would be under payment, just the quality ones like in Bikes. I don't mind paying 2 dollars for that. People talk about the unpopular the game is getting - this could attract creators = more content = more fun for people. You already have to pay for everything everywhere, no one would be surprised to pay 2$ for a top-quality mod and would keep the creator doing stuff. I guess we would just need someone to believe in the shop and do it, like Niko.
Alex V111#1017
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

VUSTTOS wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:15 pm There are obviously different opinions. It's just sad to see the low amount of content released compared to years ago, and seeing creators go away. This would be a motivation for them. It works well in MxBikes and would work well in MxSim. It's not that all tracks would be under payment, just the quality ones like in Bikes. I don't mind paying 2 dollars for that. People talk about the unpopular the game is getting - this could attract creators = more content = more fun for people. You already have to pay for everything everywhere, no one would be surprised to pay 2$ for a top-quality mod and would keep the creator doing stuff. I guess we would just need someone to believe in the shop and do it, like Niko.
I do see what you're saying, I also wouldn't mind paying a couple dollars for a really cool track, like how niklas sandbox was back in the day. But the amount of really talented creators in the community has kind of dwindled down, possibly due to burnout either with the game or creating. I still make tracks and when I want to start a project it can take me a long time to get it done, or I get burnt out and never finish it. So I understand why people stop making content, especially when there's no financial reward for finishing it out.

A big problem I see with this is a lot of track creators in this community don't make a lot of custom objects/decals/skyboxes, and just steal them from others. How do you think the creators of those track objects and decals would feel if they knew someone was making money off some of their work when they didn't? They'd probably want a cut or refuse the sale of the track entirely, and then it just gets super complicated.

If someone built a completely custom track with many new objects, textures, and whatnot like Neal did for his Aspect Proving Grounds, I'm totally cool with them selling their tracks because they're innovative and clearly took a lot of work to put together. Having a shop could give rise to talented creators again in the community and cause an increase in the amount of content that actually comes out. But like I said in my previous reply, putting something behind a paywall in an already niche community just limits the amount of people that will actually be able to enjoy your work.

Bikes has a bigger community at the moment, partially because of it's accessibility on steam and being a more "modern" game graphically, so I feel like having a shop isn't too bad, but unless sim gets a big boost in popularity again I don't see it being right to put a bunch of content behind a paywall with maybe a few exceptions if the work is top notch.
MX4EVER
Team: MXS-Concept.com

Post by MX4EVER »

I love how people can speak about the shop impact without a single idea of the analytics.
Niko | Mouk Lab | Admin of MXS-Concept // MyMXB // MXBikes-Shop // among others. | YouTube
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

MX4EVER wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:12 am I love how people can speak about the shop impact without a single idea of the analytics.
Enlighten us, I'm curious about your opinion on the matter.
MX4EVER

Post by MX4EVER »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:07 pm
MX4EVER wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:12 am I love how people can speak about the shop impact without a single idea of the analytics.
Enlighten us, I'm curious about your opinion on the matter.
Just take a look at the steam charts. The game has more and more players over the time.
Look at the series subscriptions on both free and paid tracks. Up to 500 sign ups it’s completely crazy.

Only people we hear is the 1% that always complain no matter what. I could do the analytics on discord, you think something is bad because “everybody says so“… but with a deeper look, everybody is 50 people over 25K+ users.
Niko | Mouk Lab | Admin of MXS-Concept // MyMXB // MXBikes-Shop // among others. | YouTube
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

MX4EVER wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:29 pm Just take a look at the steam charts. The game has more and more players over the time.
Look at the series subscriptions on both free and paid tracks. Up to 500 sign ups it’s completely crazy.

Only people we hear is the 1% that always complain no matter what. I could do the analytics on discord, you think something is bad because “everybody says so“… but with a deeper look, everybody is 50 people over 25K+ users.
I'm not arguing that a shop is bad for mxbikes at all, it clearly works because of the large community it has. My argument is I don't think it would translate well over into sim because of how small the community is currently. People aren't used to paying for tracks in sim, whereas bikes it's been well established for a few years now. Plus the quality of work being put out in the sim community right now doesn't warrant a shop creation, with a few minor exceptions.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

To Hugo: If terrain.png is scrambled saving is disabled.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
MX4EVER

Post by MX4EVER »

MarcusThompson wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:40 am But there are many who don't. you're not picking up what im putting down bucko. Ashame that the mxbikes shop has ruined the community
I was referring to this, not to what you said Jakob.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

MX4EVER wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:18 am I was referring to this, not to what you said Jakob.
Ah my bad, didn't see that in the thread.