125 or 250f?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
ShortyMX
Team: Skullcandy

125 or 250f?

Post by ShortyMX »

Hey guys,

quick summary of my situation: I'm 15yo, and pretty small. Currently on 85ccm. I'm allowed to race another year in that class, and I'll do that. But I also would like to ride a big bike additionally. So the question is, a 125 or a 250f? I would say 250f, because most likely I'll never ride a 2 stroke competitively again, and I would lose a year of 4 stroke training if I would go on a 125. But since practically everyone goes on a 125 first and pretty much everyone told me that I should go on a 125 first, I'm undecided. Their argument was that "you learn how to ride with bigger bikes" on it. Didn't quite get that one :D
So, what would you say? (hope this understandable, if not, ask me :D )
ImageImageImage
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: 125 or 250f?

Post by Pumaxcs »

4 Strokes make you lazy is why they say that. If you can do a lap on the 125 even close to what someone your speed rides a 250f then once you get a 250f you will be that much faster. Though, because you want to be competitive I would recommend the 250f, you have a year to get used to it but eventually will go that route to stay competitive so just go on and get on it.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
mxmadman374
Team: Privateer

Post by mxmadman374 »

I agree with going straight to a 250.

I don't think it will help you get ready to race a four stroke more than a4 stroke can, so it would put you behind schedule compared to your competition.

When I was younger I used wooden blocks at the starting gate just so I could touch the ground, you may need to do the same lol. :mrgreen:
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

If you were just riding for fun and sometimes raced I'd say 125, but I agree if you want to be competitive just go to the 250f. The one part I don't understand about the "125 will make you faster argument" (for kids coming up to big bikes, obviously doesn't apply to older adult beginners) is that you ride 85's the exact same way, and it's even harder since you you have even less power, and shift more. So kids coming off 85's already have that skill set. There would be a lot less unfamiliarity if you went to the 125, but not worth the money if you are that serious about your racing.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

What Nate said, depends if you just want to ride for fun or aim at being more competitive. If you just want to ride for fun, go for a 125, if you want to race and get faster, get a 250f.
Fro77
Team: TBR

Post by Fro77 »

Ok here it is. I got a 125 when i turned 13 and I still have the bike and im 16 now. It is by far my favorite dirtbike I've ever had. Has like 130 hours on it. I got a 250f about a year ago and I didnt really like it. I got a ktm 250 two stroke like a week ago and I love it. Its all personal opinion. If you want to have fun get a 125 and maybe if you can get a 250f when you are done on 85's. If you can ride them somewhere like back to back that would be best so you get to feel both in the same day.
Ddavis wrote:You paid your $5 to do this shitty event so deal with it, everyone who wants their money back for whatever fucking reason, go get a job you poor bastard.
James_122 wrote:If you really want to know if Jesus is real, just ask Havoc They went to college together.
Trevor
Crushed Dissenter
Team: 21 Savage

Post by Trevor »

I got a 125 when I was 13 also, but soon found that I needed a bike to compete on so I got a 250f. I went from a 13 Crf250r to a 14 Crf250r, but found that I was becoming lazy on the 4 strokes so I sold my 250f. I am now buying a 125 because... It's a 125 and bitches love guys who rip a 2smoke.
Scotty226
Team: Crisp Graphics

Post by Scotty226 »

Get a 125, they're cheaper and more fun and they smell and sound a lot better
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
2014 Loretta Lynns 250 Pro Sport 2nd
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Which one has a cam chain that can fling and jam w/o warning while the other knocks, pings and "thipples" before it seizes? I know how unlikely that first scene would be, just thinking of an argument one way or the other. If you're comfortable riding a Wankel rotary, go with that. Whatever you can ride the most effortlessly, right? 4-strokers are the most highly developed.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
ShortyMX

Post by ShortyMX »

Wow guys, thanks a lot so far! Didn't expect so many answers! You guys are awesome. And for everyone who says I should go on the 125 for fun: I got a little rid of 2 strokes and can't wait to rip 4 stroke up. (Stupid small powerband on the 2 stroke, I like it a lot more on the 4 stroke and it suits my riding style better)
Pumaxcs wrote:4 Strokes make you lazy is why they say that. If you can do a lap on the 125 even close to what someone your speed rides a 250f then once you get a 250f you will be that much faster.
Can you explain this? I don't quite understand it.

mxmadman374 wrote:I don't think it will help you get ready to race a four stroke more than a4 stroke can, so it would put you behind schedule compared to your competition.
That's what I was thinking about all day, and pretty much one of the best arguments for the 250f.

mxmadman374 wrote:When I was younger I used wooden blocks at the starting gate just so I could touch the ground, you may need to do the same lol. :mrgreen:
Haha I'm hoping that I'll grow a bit until next year, but so far it looks like that's going to be the case :mrgreen:

yzmxer608 wrote:There would be a lot less unfamiliarity if you went to the 125, but not worth the money if you are that serious about your racing.
Definitely a good argument! Thanks man.

Ddavis wrote:What Nate said, depends if you just want to ride for fun or aim at being more competitive. If you just want to ride for fun, go for a 125, if you want to race and get faster, get a 250f.
Well, it's more like a learning year. My concern is, that I kinda lose a year of training if I go on the 125.

@Fro77: Like I said, I would really like to step right on the 250f. But almost everyone goes on the 250f first, and I try to understand why. (And if it's actually better)

@Trevor: How and why did they make you lazy? I don't quite get that point.

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Whatever you can ride the most effortlessly, right?
Not really. I just would like to know what's the right thing. My main focus is still the 85 that year, but I kind of don't want to lose a year, so I'll train on a 250f or 125 too. I would like to go on the 250f, but since everybody goes on a 125 first, I would like to know why and if it's better/ makes you faster or whatever.
ImageImageImage
Lawsy139

Post by Lawsy139 »

If you have the cash to go 125 first then 250f definatly do that if you're planning on riding your 250f competitively. Like puma said, to go fast anywhere near as fast on a 125 as you would on a 250f, you'd have to be really aggresive and make perfect shifts. Most people tend to transfer these skills to the 250f, and go super fast.

250fs can make you lazy in regards to gears and aggressiveness. It's so easy to sit and and just let the four stroke labor in the corners. Doesn't really matter what gear you're in its still gunna pull you out of there. It's easy but not fast hahaha.

So IMO defiantly go the 125 first, even if it's just for a year.
mikehunt22
Team: Privateer

Post by mikehunt22 »

Lawsy139 wrote:If you have the cash to go 125 first then 250f definatly do that if you're planning on riding your 250f competitively. Like puma said, to go fast anywhere near as fast on a 125 as you would on a 250f, you'd have to be really aggresive and make perfect shifts. Most people tend to transfer these skills to the 250f, and go super fast.

250fs can make you lazy in regards to gears and aggressiveness. It's so easy to sit and and just let the four stroke labor in the corners. Doesn't really matter what gear you're in its still gunna pull you out of there. It's easy but not fast hahaha.

So IMO defiantly go the 125 first, even if it's just for a year.
this.
ShortyMX

Post by ShortyMX »

Lawsy139 wrote:Like puma said, to go fast anywhere near as fast on a 125 as you would on a 250f, you'd have to be really aggresive and make perfect shifts. Most people tend to transfer these skills to the 250f, and go super fast.
Thanks for explaining this! But let's say you do a 125 year, and you are aggressive and everything, wouldn't you be lazy after 1 or 2 years 4 stroke anyway? And why is there a difference between if going from 85 2-stroke to 250f and 125 to 250f?
Thanks again man!
ImageImageImage
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

ShortyMX wrote:Thanks for explaining this! But let's say you do a 125 year, and you are aggressive and everything, wouldn't you be lazy after 1 or 2 years 4 stroke anyway? And why is there a difference between if going from 85 2-stroke to 250f and 125 to 250f?
Not if you don't fall into the 4-stroke's evil ways :twisted:.
ShortyMX wrote:And why is there a difference between if going from 85 2-stroke to 250f and 125 to 250f?
I don't understand this either, if he can ride an 85 good going to a 125 first wouldn't do much besides getting used to the larger dimensions of the big bikes (learning not to be lazy etc. is already instilled in him from the 85). When I went from my yz85 to yz125 it literally felt like that same powerband just more power (and steel vs. aluminum frame but that's besides the point).

BUT my gut says 125 because I love two strokes and not four strokes but that's just me :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Depends do you have classes for them? Here in the states we have classes like schoolboy 1, 125 open (depending on the state), and 2 stroke open. Imo I say 125 just because with those you learn to ride that wild edge and be aggressive. Now a days you have to ride a 250f just like a 125 if you want it to go anywhere and as small as you are a 125 will help you learn that quicker. The 250f is still a lot of bike for a young kid, especially if you are small. It may be good to get a year on the 250f but you'll adapt quickly either way, plus 2 stroke to 4 stroke (if you stay on mini's) can be pretty tough, 125 to a mini bike won't be to much of a difference.