PSA: You selling my models is not okay.

Post about creating and skinning models here
RFX_corentin_12
Team: Impact

Re: PSA: You selling my models is not okay.

Post by RFX_corentin_12 »

RFX_corentin_12 wrote:I understand Alex's point of view and am on his side because for example you buy him a helmet, let's say the 6D, I don't know how much he sells it, probably around $30, and you do like 5 team packs with the helmet, you will gain money with it, more than what you spent to buy the 6D while Alex will only have the $30 you paid him the first time, he will only be paid only once $30 when he should have be paid 5 times for that.

I'm not saying if it's wrong or right tho, I mean, it's great for people who don't know how to skins and shit, but you make money with it while the creator of the model get nothing expect the first $30 you paid.

Selling skins should stick to cutouts. Plus, to be honest, if it's for a gear, it is not that hard to put numbers, name and logos on the gear, same for the bike, once you have the graphics, its pretty easy, making helmet skins is a bit harder imo.

And to be honest, if people pay for the models they want to use, then pay you for a cutout, they should get away with approximatively the same amount of money BUT they have PSDs of the bike/gear/helmet they bought AND the creators gain his money, and you gain yours.

Sry for the english if its trash lol
DP: And first of all, to be honest, i dont even understand why people pay so much money to get a team pack when they didnt even have the PSDs, like they pay for a .saf lol, so if they want to run Kawi for SX and keep Kawi for MX but with a different graphics, they have to pay so much money again cause they dont have psd so they cant even ask for only a cutout lol, i dont get it
Jrife548
Team: looking 4 gamer team

Post by Jrife548 »

It's not selling somebody else's work when you've modified it and made it your own and have purchased the right to do so..
Freddy694

Post by Freddy694 »

Jrife548 wrote:It's not selling somebody else's work when you've modified it and made it your own and have purchased the right to do so..
yeah u know lets just buy alex Shoei and put a just1 logo on it and now you can sell it as ur own just1 model :) huge brain moment Jrife...
Jrife548
Team: looking 4 gamer team

Post by Jrife548 »

Freddy694 wrote:
Jrife548 wrote:It's not selling somebody else's work when you've modified it and made it your own and have purchased the right to do so..
yeah u know lets just buy alex Shoei and put a just1 logo on it and now you can sell it as ur own just1 model :) huge brain moment Jrife...
You're not selling the model, your selling the change.
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

aeffertz wrote:This community does a great job at burning content creators. Ripping and sharing is inevitable but people selling my work or work that isn’t theirs is next level garbage behavior. I hope someone new comes along and is as ambitious and hard working as I and others have been. But for now, I’m over it.
These guys don't even know that in the end they'll actually suffer more from it, than you ever will. Without a base from some good modelers, they simply can't do/sell anything either :wink:
Jrife548 wrote:blah blah
Great to always see your name when it's about bashing creators.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
Haberfield24
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Haberfield24 »

Andy_Hack wrote:
aeffertz wrote:This community does a great job at burning content creators. Ripping and sharing is inevitable but people selling my work or work that isn’t theirs is next level garbage behavior. I hope someone new comes along and is as ambitious and hard working as I and others have been. But for now, I’m over it.
These guys don't even know that in the end they'll actually suffer more from it, than you ever will. Without a base from some good modelers, they simply can't do/sell anything either :wink:
Again, it’s never really be in discussion. If there was a content and a team version of every model and skin I would be purchasing a content version and happily pay more money for it. Nobody has addressed that it was an issue until everyone started shitting on me.
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

I didn't point the finger at you, it's a common issue for many years.
I honestly always saw it as an unwritten law to not sell anyone else's work mixed with yours.
I often made parts for other people's models and i either asked the original creator for permission, told my customer to do that or only sold what i made.
I don't think Alex is complaining about it, because it happened once, after all we know it'll happen, but if it happens too often, it's getting really annoying.
Again, not pointing the finger towards you only, it's to this community in general.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Haberfield24 wrote:But again surely what modellers are doing is wrong? Replicating real life helmets, boots, goggles and bike models for money? I wonder how the manufactures would feel about that...

That’s not how it works. Look up editorial usage of 3D models. You may use the logo within the 3D model in order to depict a product accurately. Also, products sold under editorial usage may not be used on any item/product for re-sale. Meaning JLV couldn’t buy a model from me and then include it in the sale of his game without proper licensing from the necessary brands but I’m still allowed to make and sell a replica model on my own. That’s why you can go on Turbosquid and buy replica models of many things.

You can try to try pass the buck with this argument but it doesn’t apply. As Andy said, it’s always been the unwritten rule that you only sell what you’ve made. That’s why when you buy gear, it doesn’t (read: it shouldn’t) come with anything but the cut out that seller has made. I know it happens and probably always will but when someone builds an entire business model around this practice, it’s too much and something needs to be said. If not for me but in general so future makers aren’t robbed knowingly or unknowingly.

It’s as simple as sell what you’ve made and nothing else. I just wish things would be fair but I’ve realized when you’re dealing with kids and an unprotected platform, things never will be. It isn’t worth my time, effort or stress dealing with things like this anymore. I’m sorry if name dropping you in an earlier post created backlash against you, as that was not my intention, but I’m not one for cryptic or open ended comments.

I appreciate you buying my models and I’ve never asked for anything extra from you, even when you asked me for additional help or offered a monetary tip. But now I’m left to wonder if you bought them to support me or if you bought them knowing you could turn around and sell them to others instead of having them purchasing them from me.

It’s an old game that allows mods so there’s always been gentlemen’s rules in place for certain things. Rather than messaging everyone in private whenever this issue comes up, I figured it’d be easier to make a public post outlining the “unwritten rules”. I would normally just say piss off and leave but I wanted to at least give some sort of closure as to why I’m leaving to anyone who may wonder. It was a last ditch effort to start charging for my models but it seems there’s even been a work around that to put money in other peoples pockets but the original creator.

It’s not you, you were unfortunately the straw that broke the camels back. The overwhelmingly loud and obnoxious community that has criticized the thousands of hours I have spent on the rF side of things, the people disrespecting and stealing content from me, the people taking my work and selling it to others and the entitled kids who honestly just don’t know better yet are all factors in why I need to eliminate this daily stress from my life. All my models will remain for sale for anyone who still wants them but I don’t know if I will be making any more for this platform.

It was fun but it isn’t anymore.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Haberfield24 wrote:you sending me money as a birthday present to thank me for having you on the team, doing custom helmets as well as countless of other favours. Is payment for a set of goggles with “interest” ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Atom6246 wrote:Owen has helped me in more ways than money could.
I'm confused how me sending you money back, (more than which was paid for said model) isn't enough. You know I contributed as much as I could to your team. Even more than the other riders that were on before I was.
Haberfield24 wrote:I don’t really understand the “look at me” gopro screenshots? Not really part of this pointless argument.
The GoPro was a model I used in SX while I was on your team. Not really pointless imo.
Haberfield24 wrote:I can promise you there was never a message saying “here’s payment for my goggles so I have rights to use them in nationals, ignore the fact that it’s your birthday tho! I’m paying for goggles!”
I'll be honest, the birthday payment wasn't necessarily a repayment for goggles. But why wouldn't I show proof that you are not out the money you practically loaned me. I've spent $120+ all together just on my personal setup, so the fact my name is brought into this questions how much you invested in me. That could leave people thinking you paid me a good amount of money.

Let's be real, $10 is nothing to a complete setup, and you would know that better than anyone Owen, yet that's enough reason to bring my name into this... If you would like the $10 back "officially" for the goggles, I will do that. Didn't think it could get this deep for such a small amount of money.
Haberfield24
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Haberfield24 »

Atom6246 wrote:
As I’ve already mentioned, I used you as a reputable example of someone who I’ve helped support Aeffertz.
Atom6246 wrote: I'm confused how me sending you money back, (more than which was paid for said model) isn't enough.
I never said it wasn’t enough? I don’t really understand this whole victim talk. I never wanted money and I offered a bunch of times to send it back.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. I used you as a prime example of someone who’s commenting in the thread who I’ve helped. If you want to be bitchy and pull up stats and convos that’s on you. Nobody is coming at you, you’re the one who made it into a big deal.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Haberfield24 wrote:If you want to be bitchy and pull up stats and convos that’s on you. Nobody is coming at you, you’re the one who made it into a big deal.
I'm literally defending myself from accusations. I have pulled up 1 conversation without your involvement to further prove said accusation's.

You reacted with emotion, I reacted with facts. You will not convince me I'm "bitchy" for doing that.
Haberfield24
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Haberfield24 »

Atom6246 wrote:I'm literally defending myself from accusations. I have pulled up 1 conversation without your involvement to further prove said accusation's.

You reacted with emotion, I reacted with facts. You will not convince me I'm "bitchy" for doing that.
There isn’t any accusations or reason to defend yourself? I used you as prime example/first that came to my of head of people I’ve bought models for through Aeffertz. Nothing more, nothing less.

Plenty of facts involved. Doesn’t mean they need to be addressed or publicly spoken about.

Correct, I reacted with emotion, pure amusement of how you retaliated to me when I used you as an example. You’re a funny guy Atom I’ll give you that.
Haberfield24
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Haberfield24 »

DP:

Regardless I’m done with this topic. I appreciate the few content creators who had already spoke it out with me about the situation this topic involves before it led to it.

I also appreciate being publicly outed, spoken about and the abuse that’s been sent to me over the last few days. Especially as I was already having a tough few weeks. Even funnier that it was all brought on by the guy that made this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55217
(If anyone is ever struggling with mental health I’m always down to talk, give me a message)

I’ve already decided to pack up once I’m done with my SX stuff. If anyone is looking to have any graphics or anything for SX and beyond I’m afraid I won’t be doing them. I only do them as a hobby for sim. The $1.5 hourly rate just isn’t worth trying to provide as many teams as possible with appealing kits when my passion is dying. I appreciate everyone who’s appreciated my work.
D_ROY178

Post by D_ROY178 »

For what it’s worth Alex, I always thought your models were an absolute steal for the price, considering they were almost perfect replicas. Unfortunate the way things panned out but 100% understand where you’re coming from here and thanks for all you’ve done. :)